completion goes from 65% to 17% when uTorrent crashes

guigi.p

uTorrent crashed due to insufficient RAM (I was doing too many things at the same time). When restarted, it did a check for all my torrents. One of them which had gone up to around 65% was reported to be only 17% completed. As that particular torrent is 5+GB, I feel I am quite at a loss. I did not experience this before, and all my other torrents are working fine. All my files are still on hard drive. Help me! I don't want to re-download over them, as that would take days.

If µTorrent crashed, it could not have been from a lack of RAM, as Windows would simply swap to disk instead of crashing the program. Somehow, I think there's something else at work... do check the incompatible software list in the FAQ. And if forcing a recheck doesn't show the data, then they weren't written to disk successfully, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

How do you have your disk cache settings set?

everything enabled except for: "override automatic[...]" and "Increase automatic cache size[...]"

thanks for the fast reply, by the way

[MERGE]

The files that don't show up in the check are usable. That is, the ones who were completed before the crash

[MERGE]

windows did swap to disk. However, access was refused to uTorrent for page file, and then uTorrent crashed.

(Ultima): Stop multi-posting. That's what the edit link is for...

(I'm assuming you're saying the files that don't pass the recheck are working, AKA actually completed)

The files aren't marked as skipped in the Files tab, are they? Can you try stopping the torrent, removing from the directory, starting again (allowing µTorrent to download/allocate those files), replace them afterwards, and force a recheck? Sorry if the recheck's getting tedious, but I'm rather confused as to why an entire file is getting ignored -- if it were some pieces from the files, it'd be reasonable, but an entire file ;o

Supposing some of the files would have been at 80% completion, would forcing a recheck account only for the 100% complete files? If so, this is quite bothering, as the purpose of bittorrent is to download ALL of the files at the same time. This means that most of the files are not 100% complete before quite late in the download process. I have, however, experienced similar situations (crashes) that did not have such a considerable impact.

As for the files in question, what makes them usable is not that they are 100% complete. In fact, audio files, for example, will play from uTorrent, providing that the first piece of the file in question is completed.

If this is a known effect of the force re-check (complete dump of partial files), I believe it should be remedied somehow. If this is an isolated case, well... I still believe it should be remedied somehow.

As for the replacement and playing around with the files, I will try it out.

Wouldn't it make more sense, however, if incomplete PARTS would be dumped instead of incomplete FILES? This is what happened to me in the past. A typical file in my download is made of quite a few parts. At the time before my crash (65% total completion), only a few files (out of some thousand) were at a 0% completion level. Now, at 17% total completion, most of my files are at 0% completion.

Force recheck would account for whatever data is complete. There is no such thing as a concept of "files" in BitTorrent, only pieces. Files are divided into pieces, and pieces can hold data from multiple files (they are not exclusive for each file). If a piece is complete, µTorrent will keep it. If incomplete, it will chuck it.

Archived