Utorrent Sending Emails?

Glimmer

Software firewalls exist only to let people who understand little about the internet and networking sleep a little better at night under the illusion that their computer is protected.

oh look at mr l33t. He knows evrything lets bow down.

For people that have not got their heads in their asses, this following info is for you: you should only need to buy a router if you have more than one computer. Routers are used for networks, not single pc's. So, if you have a single pc, stick to a software firewall.

(and besides, what makes you so special that a person would attempt to hack you? just a thought ;))

@Death-Axe:

I have a single computer setup here at Davis, and yet I still use a router instead of a software "firewall." And I don't have to be special to get hacked. Skript kiddies use their tools to sequentially or randomly go over IP's trying to do certain things. I've seen some of the logged IP's trying to use port 22 to SSH into what would be my computer from China, Kazakhstan, North Korea, and South Africa. Granted, most of those are probably bouncers, the the point that things are being attempted still stands.

Speedbooster is some proprietary technology they have to speed up wireless connections. I do believe the wireless adapter has to support it for it to work, so it's pretty worthless. Besides that, Linksys routers are quite good, especially if you use the alternative firmwares. Just make sure you don't end up with a V5 if you pick up a WRT54G. (hardware revisions)

WRT54GS is good to get, too.

Firon All that the WRT54GS is is the WRT54G with Speedbostser. As to Speedbooster's usefulness, if you're going to stick w/ one manufacturer for wireless then it works & it's not useless. As you pointed out it is not for speeding up the connection to the WAN. But don't say it's useless but "good to get, too."

Silverfire It simply isn't true that software firewalls don't work. They deny the connection unless it is one that is allowed, the same as a hardware firewall. If the connection is denied how is it that "whoever is on the other end already knows something is there?"

OK... seriously, I'm happy with my router but what do all you "software firewalls suck" people suggest I do to stop any old program contacting the internet unless I want it to? Please can someone answer this as I'd love to ditch the software firewall.

splintax you say "Well, first of all, I like to think I have the computer savvy to know "what not to run"." I am impressed as without my software firewall I would have no idea that a significant proportion of the programs I install try to contact the internet during installation without asking or notifying me at all. I wonder how you get to know what these progs are doing.

Also, I've asked this on other forums with no luck, but does any know of an "outgoing only" software firewall? It wouls sure help free up my computer resources.

Software firewalls exist only to let people who understand little about the internet and networking sleep a little better at night under the illusion that their computer is protected.

oh look at mr l33t. He knows evrything lets bow down.

Your just mad because he's right. ;)

So he is right about ppl that use software firewalls do not understand the internet and networking huh?

I think both of you need to take your heads out of your arses. You most likly have the 'l33t' syndrome, were you think you are better than evryone else because you own a router. I understand very much about the internet, and networking. (I have the ccna 1-2 qualifications, as well as verious others ;)). I use a software firewall.

It does its job. I do not need to pay out for a router, as I have only one computer. A router is for use if you have a computer network. If you have one computer, you do not need one. Fair enough, having a router maxes out your security. But if someone was actually spacifically going after you, your router would not get in their way.

--Edit: networking is one thing. Typing proply is another :D (double word corrected)

Pro's of a hardware router:

- It has firewall, but the firewall has to be configured to 'allow' certain 2-way communication initiated by a remote PC

- It is mostly the safe-est way, cause an attacker has no direct connection to the entire port-range of a local PC (unless you use DMZ)

- It doesn't impact the PC's CPU.... leaving it for other tasks like running your programs

- It allows you single configuration so all PC's can be connected through the internet in an easy way (if you use Ethernet controllers)

- When running multiple PC's you need not to protect every single PC to be fairly safe (in the case of a software firewall your would have to install it to every PC).

- It does not disclose how many PC are connected, and if properly configured it does not say which ports are available (Stealth mode) when a portscan is issued from the external net.

Con's

- It does not differentiate between programs on the PC (so all programs can contact any part of the internet)

- A DoS (Denial-Of-Service) attack might hang-up your router it it is not properly configured

- Most PC firewalls allow you to specify which program should actually be permitted to contact the internet

Offcourse this list is not complete.... but if you want to know more... i suggest you buy a good book...

Archived