Always get the red exclamation mark..

Skootles

When I had dialup, I always got the Green icon in utorrent. Now, we have high(ish) speed, and I never see it - I always get the Red exclamation mark icon. I've tried everything - I've tried port forwarding in the router and firewalls, uninstalling the firewalls, everything, but I always get the red icon.

The way our network is set up is kind of odd, and might have something to do with it. First, the internet connection originates from one of our ISP's WAP's, in the neighbour's tree house. I know, sounds pretty crude, but it's a pretty good solution, as we live out in the country. Anyways, so our modem taps into the wireless signal, provides the login and such, and then connects to the WAN port on our router, from which all our computers get their internet from.

At first I suspected I wasn't doing something right with the firewall (the one in the modem), so I took my laptop and connected directly to the WAP instead of our home network, and made sure all software firewalls were uninstalled. I was able to surf perfectly, but I still get the red icon in utorrent.

This led me to believe that the ISP was blocking certain ports / applications, so I asked them. They said they don't block any ports / programs. They're a very small company.. probably 4-6 people, max, so I don't really have reason to doubt them.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Being NATed (behind a router) isn't the same as having an internal firewall. So you probably asked the wrong question and/or they're too clueless to know what you meant.

Why can't someone connect to your computer FROM the internet for purposes of online games, certain kinds of instant messaging, VoIP, file-sharing, and even VPN (Virtual Private Networking)...is a good question to ask.

Right now your internet connection is like a phone which never rings, even when it should be! You can pick up the phone and call out...but never receive any return calls. And you're pretty sure the problem's not on your end...right?

I'd go with the too clueless part.

But it's pretty weird, as mostly everything else works. Any Instant Messaging works, and so does Skype, for example. The only problem I've had is with uTorrent and Apache HTTP Server. What's really weird is even when connected directly to the WAP, with no firewall whatsoever, seeing if a port is open (ex. http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=18225 ), I always get the "Error! Port xxxx does not appear to be open." error.

"Normal" internet services work because they don't require port forwarding. µTorrent and Apache, on the other hand, require ports to be forwarded because they LISTEN for incoming connections. If ports are not forwarded, they're listening to nothing because connection attempts aren't even reaching them. If you're on a wireless connection, chances are, you can't forward your ports.

Archived