Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 - connecting to peers more lazy

kisianik

Hello!

Simple to describe situation. Version 1.5 was more energetic to connect to more peers (the most affected is upload), and 1.6 is very slow/lazy to connect to more, especially when seeding. During upgrade no setting were changed or tweaked. No firewall/antispyware is on. Router flashed to latest Thibor (prior to upgrade).

I downgraded a few times already (I would stay with 1.5, but one tracker gives me too many invalid ID errors, so I have to be with 1.6) and upload speeds were up and more steady?!

Is there any upgrades/bug fixes were implemented which could do this tricks?

Any Ideas?

Thanks for any response.

Edit1:

P.S. The most energetic client to date (I did not tried AZ) was ABC v 2.6.1 - that one was attempting to connect to many many peers at once and was, literally, fighting for connections.

I switch to utorrent after consecutive ABCs got worse.

My hardware is as follows. 3.4 Pentium 4 with 1Mb cache and HT, 2 GB 533 DDR - my PC suppose to handle heavy connections if everything tweaked correctly.

Lynksys WRT54GL flashed to Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c, Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem in bridged mode. My more or less permanent upload speed is about 70-75 kb/sec or so.

My Connection is as follows. Upnp port Mapping - enabled, global max upload rate is 20kb/s (changing to zero when needed with slow d/l to keep ratio in place),

Global maximum number of connections is 800, Maximum number of connected peers per torrent is 400, Number of upload slots per torrent is 50.

Also enabled are Peer exchange and ask tracker for scrape information. Protocol encryption enabled and Allow incoming legacy connetion checked as well. All Advanced settings are in default as installed.

No changes were made between upgrades and downgrades (Utorrent 1.5 to 1.6 to 1.5 etc).

Any other info needed?

Any response appreciated.

Thank you.

Global maximum number of connections is 800, Maximum number of connected peers per torrent is 400, Number of upload slots per torrent is 50

HOLY JESUS!!!

...and now decimate all this numbers (to 80,40,3) an you have just proper configuration. I'm serious.

No changes were made between upgrades and downgrades (Utorrent 1.5 to 1.6 to 1.5 etc).

Yes, but 1.6 has some internal limitations, which are overruling absurd adjustments done by user in connection/upload slot settings.

Therefore changes in utorrent behaviour. And those are changes for good - because at certain moment increasing number of connections (and especially upload slots) is doing only more harm - for user and for whole swarm.

Finally, if you are saying you have 70-75kB/s upload why throttle it at only 20kB/s?

You should be able to manage fluent (and probably better) downloads with 50kB/s upload easily.

And with such upload you would be excused to increase your connections/upload slot numbers, for example to 250/80/5 respectively.

why throttle it at only 20kB/s?

I was misuderstood here. I have ADSL, so as fast as I finish d/l, I would go to upload (I have tons of private trackers and Power User on all of them, well, ecept one new one). SO, lowering down up speed (during leeching only) is speeding up my down speed, checked by practice.

now decimate all this numbers (to 80,40,3) an you have just proper configuration. I'm serious

3 is a joke. It is o.k if you presumably have only high speed peers connected. If some of those peers are slow speeds then you screwed, with only one slot fast (may not be fast enough to get all your bandwith) and 2 slots slow = your upload will be too slow. And, if all of your leechers are slow and your upload is around 60 kb/s how many upload slots do you need to max your bandwith, 3 or 20. I would go with 20.

Yes, but 1.6 has some internal limitations, which are overruling absurd adjustments done by user in connection/upload slot settings

I would like to know if those limitations could be overwritten in Advanced settings (as user, me or/and others suppose to be able to tweak settings to our liking). Otherwise, I don't see why 1.6 is superior to 1.5 which gives me more upload speed = better ratio.

Thanks for any responses

I was misuderstood here. I have ADSL, so as fast as I finish d/l, I would go to upload (I have tons of private trackers and Power User on all of them, well, ecept one new one). SO, lowering down up speed (during leeching only) is speeding up my down speed, checked by practice

In that case either you don't have 70kB/s upload available (as you insist) or have something else wrong in your pc/modem/router/firewall/anything else config.

Lowering down upload speed is good only if you are too close to the saturation of upload. In all other cases - generally the higher upload, the better download. It is assumed that the sweet spot value is 70-80% of your total upload, so I repeat here: if you have ca 70kB/s upload, 50kB/s upload limit should be just fine.

3 is a joke. It is o.k if you presumably have only high speed peers connected.

What?? 20kB/s divided by 3 = 6,6kB/s per peer. Even 56k modem users can handle it. And this is only when you are downloading only one torrent. When you are downloading 2 of them simultaneously you are dividing 20kB/s by 6 = 3,3kB/s so what kind of high speed peers are you talking about?

If some of those peers are slow speeds then you screwed, with only one slot fast (may not be fast enough to get all your bandwith) and 2 slots slow = your upload will be too slow. And, if all of your leechers are slow and your upload is around 60 kb/s how many upload slots do you need to max your bandwith, 3 or 20. I would go with 20.

If you set your upload for 60kB/s 5 slots are just fine. That is 12kB/s per peer. Of course some of them can be slower, but even if happens 5 of them are struggling to get your data with that speed (veeeeeery unusal) just one high speed user is enough to compensate it all. For example: 3kB/s, 3kB/s, 3kB/s, 3kB/s, 48kB/s. Cool.

And if you are really so worried that there will be too little upload slots, then turn "use additional slot if upload speed < 90%" on. Done. And works great.

Now, 20 upload slotes - that is a joke. Even at 60kB/s speeds you are convicting others to get the data from you at 3kB/s max. And what about the additional overhead it generates, huh? And what happens if you start seeding more torrents? Let's say three? Houston, do we have 1kB/s per peer here? Do you really like peers who are uploading 1kB/s to you?

I would like to know if those limitations could be overwritten in Advanced settings (as user, me or/and others suppose to be able to tweak settings to our liking)

No, you can change the values as much as you want, but uTorrent won't let you go beyond the safety line

kisianik said: "global max upload rate is 20kb/s (changing to zero when needed with slow d/l to keep ratio in place), Global maximum number of connections is 800, Maximum number of connected peers per torrent is 400, Number of upload slots per torrent is 50."

With settings like this, MOST people who download from you are likely to see download speeds from you of 0.1-0.5 KB/sec. ...possibly worse. With as many connections as you're trying to make, you're quite likely using more bandwidth to communicate all the parts of the torrent you have to peers than you are actually using to SEND parts of the torrent to others.

Some ADSL connections have bandwidth that can be either upload or download but not both at the same time. So if you're uploading at >50% of your max upload speed...effective max download speed during that time is only about 25% of "normal" max (during idle upload). Still...just how fast do you insist on downloading at other people's expense?

Suggested settings changes:

Max Upload: 30 KB/sec -- alternate upload rate while not downloading: 60 KB/sec

Global Max Connections: 130

Max No. of Connected Peers per Torrent:60

No. Upload slots per torrent:3

Use additional U/L slots if U/L speed is <90%: checked

Protocol Encryption: enabled (KEEP legacy connections though)

Max No. Active Torrents Upload/Download:3

Max Active Downloads:2

DHT enabled

Peer Exchange enabled

Some ADSL connections have bandwidth that can be either upload or download but not both at the same time. So if you're uploading at >50% of your max upload speed...effective max download speed during that time is only about 25% of "normal" max (during idle upload)

Switeck, what exact kind technology do you mean. Because, as for my knowledge (and it don't consider it superficial) ADSL is a full duplex technology and there is no obstacles to utilize maximum of upload and download together. Of course, as long as you ensure TCP ACK packet prioritization. If you don't - then we all know the 70-80% of max upload story.

Rate-Adaptive Digital Subscriber Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate-Adaptive_Digital_Subscriber_Line

This is probably more common if you're far away from the central exchange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_around_the_world

Under United States section:

"ADSL is offered by a variety of providers. The most popular variant is RADSL."

In that case I stand corrected, though still never seen such thing in action.

Anyway, do you know more details about RADSL behaviour? How it determines when to cut the upload and when not?

If, for exmample, it detects the upload as not being (fully) used, then the only one good countermeasure is to use packet prioritizing software and filling the upstream always to the max (to prevent its degradation by RADSL). The usual 70-80% rule would fail here because RADSL seeing the upstream as not fully used would degrade it - and after that our 80% capping becomes suddenly 95% cap or no cap whatsover and this means drastic degradation of download. Very bad.

But if the full download is the trigger for RADSL (to lower its upstream synchro) then the self capping of download in utorrent should be enough. And as for upload usual 70-80% will be ok then

So as you see - further details of RADSL technology are very welcomed if not crucial.

Archived