Slow downloads

Senator Smartypants

Windows XP Pro, Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB RAM, 512kbps ADSL.

I recently switched over from Azureus to use uTorrent on a private tracker, where I had previously had no trouble getting speeds around 50-60KB/s. Now, without regard to how many seeds I am connected to, or on how many torrents, uTorrent's global downstream speed appears to be topping out between 25 and 30 KB/s. Despite this, other applications respond as if all my bandwidth is being used, resulting in very slow Web browsing, etc.

I haven't had opportunity to do a solid test of upload speeds, so I don't know if they are affected by the same problem. I have tried disabling "bt.slow_connect" under Advanced Options, to no avail. My statusbar reads "Network OK" so I don't believe this stems from any router problems. Can anyone give me further troubleshooting advice, before I give in and switch back to Azureus?

ok i have a 1 meg ADSL line so i would suggest you just half these and see if it works for you..

Global Maximum upload rate : 20 k/bs (leaves as is)

Global max number connections : 230

max number of connection per torrent : 60

number of upload slots per torrent : 5

tick , use additional upload slots

number of active torrents : 4

number of active downloads : 4

tick enable scraping

hope it works for you

ok i have a 1 meg ADSL line so i would suggest you just half these and see if it works for you..

Global Maximum upload rate : 20 k/bs (leaves as is)

Global max number connections : 230

max number of connection per torrent : 60

number of upload slots per torrent : 5

tick , use additional upload slots

number of active torrents : 4

number of active downloads : 4

tick enable scraping

hope it works for you

Thanks, but no dice. :?

I should mention, I do in fact have all my maximum download rate set to 0 (unlimited) and that settings of 30, 45, 60, and 800, have resulted in no change in performance.

Prior to following dog1's instructions, more or less all my other settings were set to their default values.

Sorry if I sound robotic, by the way... I used to work in tech support and I learned to appreciate a verbose caller.

Open your Windows Firewall. Make sure UPnP Framework is selected under the "Exceptions" list...that's all I can think of. I'm sure someone more familiar with this problem can help. :)
I disable Windows Personal Firewall and rely on my router and my wits to keep me alive. Thanks for giving it your best, I hope you're right.

Update: I just got a chance to seed a popular torrent, and confirmed that my upload speeds are the same as always (about 25kB/s.) I guess this means the client is doing something inefficient in how it is receiving chunks.

Later on, I think I will try installing it on another computer behind the same DSL line.

I feel your pain SS. I made the switch from azereus to utorrent with no positive results. I have all the same issues as you. Did everything the forums/faq's said and still nothing, Ports have been tested, programs uninstalled, registry cleaned, programs reinstalled and reconfigured, disabled firewalls, rebooted router, and all these did nothing. Even on the irc.....no luck. Hopefully a nice person will shed the light on this problem because this is looking pretty hopeless.

I am beginning to gather that this is a recent problem with only the newest version. Hopefully, then, it will go away with the next update. In the meantime, I am back with Azureus, which I have to quit out of whenever I am doing high-res graphics for work, just to save system resources. Here's hoping the devs will come to my rescue soon rather than later.

Hey all,

Ive had similar speed issues with utorrent crawling and Azereus downloading at full speed, after checking the event viewer I seen lots of Event 4226's so I applied a combination of the tweaks on this thread plus ran lvllord patch on the TCPIP.SYS, rebooted and now everything is flying!

Seems Azereus can work around the TCP limitation somehow, but thanks for your help!

D

Archived