What happened to my speed?

jblindy

Ok....I uninstalled nod32 and rebooted. I tried downloading ubuntu torrent file, ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso. 135 seeds and 13 peers. I'm connected to 62 seeders and 2 leechers. It's been running now for about 5 minutes and the max download speed that I've seen was 179, but my speed is all over the place. One second I'm hitting 170 then the next I'm falling all the way to 50. Then I'll slowly climb back up to mid-100. There was also a period where it jumped drastically. For example.....150, 130, 80, 120, 150, 80, 70, 50, 120. This is getting frustrating!

All right......I got to thinking that maybe someone could have cracked my psk for my wireless router and in doing so someone could possibly be stealing my bandwidth. So I go into my router settings to change the key and after clicking a few of the options, I started getting the error message......

"Windows Internet Explorer

Stack overflow at line:0"

I could just click the ok button and resume my business but what the hell is that about? I wonder if that could be related to my problem?

By the way, changing my psk in the router config didn't help. I'm downloading a torrent right now and the stats are.....connected to 12 of 12 seeds and 82 of 93 peers. Downloading at 33.4 and uploading at 85.2.

If anybody has any ideas, please jump aboard and offer them up.

Thanks

A quick look at the peer list at the tracker of the above torrent I'm downloading shows that there are 4 seeders uploading at 200+kB/s, 3 uploading at over 100 kB/s, and quite a few are uploading at 50+kB/s. So why am I unable to max out my download?!

EDIT: ANYBODY!?!

Nobody has any advice or help other than whats already been posted?

Here's an update....

I uninstalled utorrent and installed azureus. Changed the port number and made sure it was properly forwarded. Changed my router security settings. Used enditall2 and killed all unnecessary processes and running programs. Disabled my av, trojan hunter, spy sweeper, and bit defender. Set up azureus to the recommended settings for my connection. No luck!

Is it possible that someone has hacked my connection? How would I know? But if that were the case then my wouldn't the speedtest at speedtest.net reflect that as well.

The tech that I spoke with said that insight didn't throttle torrent or p2p activity and he informed me that he was a regular torrent user himself.

I checked for a firmware update for my linksys router but I already have the latest firmware. Could the motorola modem be causing a problem?

I'm at a total loss.

I just don't know anymore.

I'd always worry about wireless connections, but if you've ruled that out and you're using a wired connection for your computer I don't know what could be the problem.

The one thing that I haven't tried is bypassing the router and hooking directly to the cable modem. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

I would also be inclined to believe that maybe there is something corrupted somewhere deep in xp but I get the same results using vista.

I'm going to try bypassing the router and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll try hooking my wifes laptop directly and seeing what happens there. I'll post the results later. Got another extra credit biology quiz due tonight.

Thanks

Quick edit........the test torrent I downloaded using azureus is now uploading at an average of 150 kB/s and I'm only connected to 10 peers with 98 in swarm. The average download speed was 90ish kB/s with 266 seeders. Download is set to unlimited. ???

I disconnected the router and connected directly to the Motorola modem with no luck. I then connected my wifes laptop directly to the cable modem and speeds still hover around 50-100 kB/s.

So I had a brainstorm.....let's see what would happen if I downloaded more than one torrent. So I went to td and picked out two more well seeded torrents and my total download speed went up to just over 700 kB/s and is now hovering at around 650 kB/s. The funny thing is, the torrent that I had in first was doing good to break a 100 kB/s, now with the three torrents going it's staying right around 200 kB/s. The first torrent was also well seeded, with several of them seeding over 200+ kB/s.

Switeck, Ultima, and all you other gurus what does this tell you?

EDIT: Just to let you guys know.....I just got off the phone with my brother-in-law, who has the same connection I do. I had him download the same torrent that I started with and he got up to over 500 kB/s within 30 seconds of starting the torrent. He was able to connect to double the amount of seeders I was able to connect to. Any thoughts on this?

I am having the exact same problem, but I can not seem to get my combined download speed over 60ish. Before the 10mb insight upgrade i was able to get about 450k. Right after the upgrade I was pulling down at around 1.2m. Now it is severely dropped to where I am now. Quite frustrating!

I am having the exact same problem, but I can not seem to get my combined download speed over 60ish. Before the 10mb insight upgrade i was able to get about 450k. Right after the upgrade I was pulling down at around 1.2m. Now it is severely dropped to where I am now. Quite frustrating!

So you have insight also? I have the broadband plus which is 15 meg down and 1.5 meg up.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Before the upgrade I was downloading at an easy 400-600 kB/s on the 6 mb broadband plus connection. After the upgrade I was hitting 1000 kB/sec download easy, for about a week. Then it seems like overnight those speeds are gone. But what puzzles me is that my bro-in-law is still downloading as fast as ever? So Insight isn't restricting bandwidth but it seems that for some reason, I just can't seem to connect with other peers.

What happens if you run a speedtest

If I do a speed test on my connection, though, it all tests ok. I've tried several such as speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, dslreports.com. Whatever google spits out, I've tried and most of them agree.

I just went to that speedtest.net site and did a test and its fast. The only problem I am having with it bittorents.

Download : 10086kbps

Upload : 954kbps

I was using a WRT54G v3 router with the latest linksys official firmware. Thinking that was the problem I just flashed it with dd-wrt and did all the tweaks for it and it still didn't help.

I think insight hosed us... lol

@jblindly: I'm pretty drained of ideas at the moment. After having you mess with the settings for so long already (and you trying another good client -- Azureus), I find it odd that your problem isn't fixed. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that your ISP is indeed messing around, as loafimus thinks as well. Of course, that doesn't account for why your brother-in-law can download quickly... Does he live very close to your area? If not, then perhaps they're throttling select areas as Rogers initially did in Canada.

I'm pretty drained of ideas at the moment. After having you mess with the settings for so long already (and you trying another good client -- Azureus), I find it odd that your problem isn't fixed. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that your ISP is indeed messing around, as loafimus thinks as well. Of course, that doesn't account for why your brother-in-law can download quickly... Does he live very close to your area? If not, then perhaps they're throttling select areas as Rogers initially did in Canada.

I would think that insight were limiting my connection also if it weren't for the fact that I can still easily hit 700+ kB/s while downloading more than 2 torrents. It's as if my per torrent connection is limited to either how many peers I can connect to or my connection speed. Also, if Insight were throttling my connection then wouldn't my upload speed suffer as well?

My brother-in-law lives about 5 miles from me.

@ loafimus

What are you running in the background? My av was NOD32 but I uninstalled it and installed Kaspersky. I also have Trojan Hunter, Spy Sweeper, and Windows Defender running, as well as Windows firewall.

Here's a copy of my hijackthis log. Maybe something in there will lend a clue, but to me it's clean.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0

Scan saved at 6:00:58 PM, on 12/9/2006

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE

C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe

C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.6\THGuard.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe

C:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Net Express\Base\bin\mfds.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KEM.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KHALMNPR.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE

C:\Program Files\Avi2Dvd\Avi2Dvd.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Avi2Dvd\Programs\EclCCE\EclCCE.exe

C:\Program Files\Cinema Craft Encoder SP v2.67.00.27\cctsp.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [updReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [spySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.6\THGuard.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "c:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sBDrvDet] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe" /r

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe" /r

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk.disabled

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk.disabled

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk.disabled

O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KEM.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\scieplugin.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O11 - Options group: [iNTERNATIONAL] International*

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{59DDADB7-6299-4501-A6F1-8FA26DFABDB8}: NameServer = 74.128.0.100,74.128.0.101

O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll

O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe

O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe

O23 - Service: Micro Focus Directory Server - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Net Express\Base\bin\mfds.exe

O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

Just to add my two cents.. I'm in Illinois and I'm an Insight user. Before the upgrade, I was getting around 45kbps or 46kbps on the torrent uploads, as expected. After the upgrade, which began on November 27 in my area, I was hitting the 100kbps speeds for three days. Then, on November 30, the speed dropped to around 5kbps uploads and downloads.

I called tech support who suggested it was my six year old modem, among other suggestions like "maybe it'll work itself out," etc, and "Well, maybe you don't understand how torrents work." Yeah, sure. I've only been using BitTorrent for three years, now.

I traded my cable company my old modem for one of the newer modems. No change with torrent speed. I did all the little things like virus checking, spyware checking, even formatting. No change. The really strange thing is that sometimes (maybe three times since November 30) the speed breaks free and I start downloading at a 'fairly' high rate of speed (maybe around 30 to 50kbps). Last night (December 13), it even began to do both, upload AND download at around 40kbps, and that lasted about 25 minutes.

I have a friend who uses Insight and lives about a half mile away, and he's also experiencing the same thing with torrents.

I'm presently trying the BitComet encryption method, but nothing's changed. Same old slow speed.

I'm thoroughly confused and frustrated. I'd consider DSL, but I've heard horror stories about my local DSL outfit.

It's very important to watch your upload speeds. If you're seeding torrents with lots of peers and maybe only 1/10th as many seeds, then you should be able to max out your upload speed on them nearly 24/7 with even so-so settings. If not, then that may be the BEST proof you'll get that your ISP isn't playing fair with you.

Might even be more interesting to try doing that WITHOUT using Encryption, just to show that your ISP is reading your data packets instead of just "bulk monitoring".

• 3 months later...

Well, after extensive Googling/reading, I found myself here. I'm another person from the central Illinois region. I download torrents just fine, but connecting with peers on my upload happens in brief spurts (read: 5 seconds of uploading at 1.2kB/s). This happens and I don't connect again for a LOOONG time. Very annoying.

Just for the record, I also did all the little tweaks suggested in the Setup Guide. Sorry to bump what looks to be an older thread, I wasn't sure if this would be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I copied each ss to the letter (except the scheduler) and my download speed is now 10x faster. I frequently average at least 150s and spend a lot of time up in the 280+ range.

considering that on my old bittorrent app and 'optimized' set-up i was getting 5-10s, 20s if i was lucky, and 40 if hell froze over, this improvement is simply awesome.

oh, and the number of seeders affects the downlload rate bigtime. not just because the more seeders you connect to the more likely that say, all those 10s add up to 100... but b/c the more seeders the more likely you are to get a blazing fast 240 from one connection. law of averages and such.

Archived