PC freezes when uTorrent starts to DL

adamthemute

Hard disk overload is about the only reason I can think of. At the beginning, µTorrent has to very quickly create a large file on disk to later fill with the correct data as it downloads. At the end, µTorrent has to hash all remaining in-ram pieces of the torrent and copy them to the hard disk...and may be trying to do too much at once.

µTorrent's ram cache settings has some effect on this, as does the advanced settings concerning compact_allocation, diskio.flush_files, diskio.sparse_files, diskio.use_partfile, diskio.smart_hash, and diskio.coalesce_writes. I don't know what settings changes there are least likely to cause problems.

Well the problem has continued.

It's frozen several times tonight and I've noticed a pattern forming. Each time I restart the machine and µTorrent it appears to freeze quicker. I may be wrong on this and I am making the judgement based on one day alone but it seems to make sense from what has been said about the router.

Does this seem like it may be part of the problem, and if so are we any closer to working out where the problem may lie?

• 2 weeks later...

µTorrent launching at windows startup can sometimes launch before/while other important DLLs/apps have run.

So there's either cpu/ram/hdd bottlenecks with everything wanting to load at once, or some critical networking service hasn't fully loaded before µTorrent does...which causes either an immediate or later crash.

Archived