Resuming Torrents

soft

HI, i need some help on resuming my torrents.

my computer tend to hang after sometime while watching videos. maybe a graphics card problem.

i have utorrent running and my computer suddenly hangs. when i reboot my com, i have to recheck my torrents again. is there any fast resume for utorrent ? i just switched from bitcomet to utorrent.

bitcomet allows me to fast resume. w/o file checking. but it takes uses more memory usage.

Skipping hash checks means you run the risk of sharing corrupt data. BAD for the swarm. You should fix your crashes instead of asking if there is a way to possibly harm the swarm (yes, you didn't ask it that way, but that's essentially what you are saying). If µTorrent is allowed to exit gracefully, then it won't keep bothering you about hash checking.

bitcomet allows me to "smart resume" it means after i hanged. it i dont really need to check the file.

it just resumes to the part before i hang. the file isnt really corrupted. but theres a risk of it being corrupted right ?

the files i download now are quite big, therefore harsh checking each time i hang tends to use up quite alot of resources. is there any alternative ?

but if utorrent doesnt support that, its ok. i was just enquiring if utorrent have such a feature. i will still continue to use it. i like it. =D thx

Nvm, Thx its ok. i my com only hangs when i watch videos, it should be a graphics problem or either a player/codec problem.

i usually have some glitches when i play games.

btw, whats the difference between a red icon and blue icon (beside the name) when downloading ?

• 3 weeks later...

What is the "fast resume" algorithm anyway?

I don't see any reason, except some remote possibility, that a fast resume would "resume" corrupt data.

If I am downloading a 10 GB file, and I have gotten to 9.5Gbs perfectly fine, then my computer crashes (or power goes out), what is the point of searching through 9.5GBs of data??

It makes a lot more sense to at most check the last 50 megabytes (at MOST) maybe even last 10 megabytes.

So what is the reason to start at point 1? It is time consuming, resource consuming, and for that reason I do use Azereus and have never had a problem (and it seems every single bit-torrent community I have been on praises Azereus the most) Why would they praise a program that defaults Fast Resume if that is a "danger" to the swarm?

So for this reason, I do inquire what the fast-resume algorithm really is, like what does it actually do mathematically? What are the probabilities "fast" resume will corrupt a swarm? What is the consequence of corrupting a swarm (does it really matter? Can most swarms catch the error on their own)?

BitTorrent does NOT download pieces in sequential order. Checking the "last" 50MB is entirely USELESS to BitTorrent, as data is downloaded out of order, and could've been anywhere in the middle.

There are no mathematics to fast resume. Fast resume simply skips the hash check. If your computer crashes, it's EASILY likely that the data can get corrupted. If your computer crashes, the first think I would complain about and attempt to fix is the crashing, not the BitTorrent client. If abrupt reboots or shutdowns (read: crashes) weren't possible sources of data corruption, then no one would need to use Windows shutdown -- just hold the power button on your computer and it's all good. And yes, corrupting a swarm sucks for the swarm when you needlessly waste everyone's bandwidth by sending them corrupt data, and sucks for you when everyone starts banning you.

There are no mathematics to fast resume. Fast resume simply skips the hash check. If your computer crashes, it's EASILY likely that the data can get corrupted. If your computer crashes, the first think I would complain about and attempt to fix is the crashing, not the BitTorrent client. If abrupt reboots or shutdowns (read: crashes) weren't possible sources of data corruption, then no one would need to use Windows shutdown -- just hold the power button on your computer and it's all good. And yes, corrupting a swarm sucks for the swarm when you needlessly waste everyone's bandwidth by sending them corrupt data, and sucks for you when everyone starts banning you.

Okay, but this has never been a problem for me... I understand your points 100%, but I have never heard, been responsible for, or even seen this problem occur..

And if 1 bit of data has be corrupted, I haven't noticed it in any files I have downloaded (and I have downloaded lots...)

Archived