Developing uTorrent

ddustin

I started out searching for a bit-torrent app that would allow me to 'stream' files in the order I choose, which eventually lead me to your app.

I have to say, props Ludvig, I thoroughly love your app. The interface is superb (a perfect balance of simplicity and usability), the download size is unbelievable the bloat is non-existant. AND you support prioritizing files! I didn't think I would ever find a bit-torrent client that would do that, I even considered coding my own simply for that on feature.

If I set out to make a perfect app I don't think I could come close.

Anyway, I'd really like to help you develop this sucker. More specifically I'd love to work on improving the prioitizing of files and chunks. For instance, currently you can only set a priority for a given file and the chunks of that file are still downloaded according to the bittorrent algorithm (least available). I propose being able to prioritize the chunks lineraly so the first chunk will be downloaded first and the last chunk last.

Also, if a chunk that is needed for a high-priority file is going slow for some reason I believe it would be ideal to begin downloading that chunk from another source concurrently (the exact algorithm for when to do this would depend on the download time for other chunks).

What do ya say, could I join your team? I'm an expert in C++ and am willing and able to conform to any coding standards and methodologies that you'd like. I can also provide code snippets for previous projects and generaly prove myself if you so desire.

Not a swipe against you or anything, but AFAIK ludde hasn't provided the source code to anyone after vurlix, and likely won't provide it unless he can definitely trust the person (AKA he knows him very well) -- he probably won't look only at coding ability.

As for your proposition... Linear piece prioritization harms the swarm, and has been rejected time and time again, so it won't be implemented, ever ;o BitTorrent isn't/won't be a streaming download protocol, as it was never designed to be such a protocol. BitTorrent works so well partly because of its "random" nature, and linearizing its piece selection behavior does no good for the client, the swarm, or the protocol. So yeah, that kind of behavior doesn't improve anything, and only serves to impair things instead.

You could setup a thresholding system were pieces that were rare enough came earlier in priority than the streaming you wanted. But yes, this would only lower the negative effects on the swarm. The question is how much is the specific user's benefit would weigh against the harm to the swarm. Everybodies threshold is different.

Thats a shame that hes so closed-source about it all. Is he planning on one day selling uTorrent as a product?

Not at all. The only money he's ever made from µTorrent has been made through indirect means -- webpage advertisements, donations, etc -- and that's how he plans to keep it. ludde's reasons for keeping µTorrent closed-source has been discussed to death here already, and I don't feel like delving into it too much (or having this thread turn into a repeat discussion -- not saying that you are interested in doing so either, though), so I'll just say that he mainly doesn't want to see "bad/cheating" forks of µTorrent while he's still able to maintain it. The moment the source gets released is the moment a cheating fork will start being developed.

Archived