router.utorrent.com for other clients?

kripkenstein

Hi, I am working on a bittorrent client (using libtorrent). Is it acceptable to the utorrent developers for other clients to make use of the utorrent router, router.utorrent.com? If it is, and I want to do so for my client, would you expect me to ask for permission first?

I don't know what the etiquette is for this, so please set me straight. Thanks.

Thanks for answering, DreadWingKnight.

Yes, I know it's just an entry node (and would, practically speaking, only be used once). Still, I don't want to use it if that would be considered impolite. The reason that I DO want to use it, is that the utorrent network is very large, so it might be useful for my client. Also, my client is very new and very small; I have no feasible plans to set up my own always-up entry node (but I do agree having my own would be better, and perhaps in time I will).

So, any chance to get an ok for using it? :)

If nothing else, you should probably set up a mechanism in your client so that it doesn't rely on any one node.

Have your client accept nodes specified in a .torrent file into its node cache. It'll make problems like any primary nodes you have specified going down be easier to deal with (trust me, I've had to deal with the primary node being down 3 times already)

Archived