download speed from countries

retroguy

When I first uses utorrent, my download speed use to be great when downloading torrent with many seeders. My connection is 1.5mbps and usually can get up to 100kbps download speed. But now, I can only get good speed ONLY from peers in my country and hardly goes up to 5kbps from peers from other countries. Is this normal in other countries or is my ISP have something to do with it? Please help, thanks.

Hello?

in the internetworld other countries are not farer away then a few hundred miliseconds, so what does distance has to do with the amound/speed of upload?!

If you get crappy speeds from elsewere in the world then because your country has either a crappy connection to the rest of the world or someone somewhere (GOV/TELCO/ISP) in your country is "regulating" the information flow thru the "tubes".

So first of all make sure you used the correct values in CTRL+G and if that doesn't help consider to emigrate to sweden with their crazy fast lines!

Any time the data has to pass through an undersea trunk cable, torrent traffic is given lowest priority and may be dropped/delayed considerably. (aka Bulk data traffic) High latency can cause reduced speeds and dropped data packets cause vastly reduced speeds.

However in Singapore the cables going out of the country are VERY limited and unknown (plus known BitTorrent) traffic is throttled in the extreme.

Technically you're right but the it hardly has any impact. In fact there are so much other aspects that have much more influence that the actual distance is negligible. And indeed cannot be the sole cause of the delay retroguy is talking about.

I'm with Switeck and µtorrent-Guest. Sounds like throttling/regulating.

[edit]Off-topic: I blame Fx2 spelling checker for supplying the wrong alternative!

Archived