Seed / Peer count explanation

dudeboyz

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to slight legolad's fine explanation, but all his explanation did was gather additional background information into a single location. Given that the original post was asking for specifics about the counts, and not about what the terms themselves meant, I'm not seeing what was wrong with our approach. All of the information legolad posted is explained in the manual's introduction chapters and glossary.

*shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent stuff!! Having a browse through the forum trying to find a thread I read while on a browse through a month ago, about being able to determine the contents of a torrent from shortly after initially starting to d-load it, this included .rar and zip torrents. Handy to know if a xGB torrent has a missing bit before D-loading the entire thing, or if the content is not what it is stated to be. Anyway, I'm off thread now.

I found this thread and all of the replies to it very informative and answered questions that I had considered asking.

Don't have to ask the questions now.

Right, where is that thread I'm after.......hi-ho, hi-ho.......=)

(using 'Search' might not be a bad idea, huh) :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

This should REALLY be in the FAQ and User Manual.

A search for 'brackets' in the FAQ and User Manual comes up with nothing.

A search on the forum doesn't help either, it results in about 10 threads with the same question, all of which are answered with "go search in the manual" or similar.

The only answer to the question I could find was this thread, which I had to dig for.

So I just registered to say thanks.

There's no reason to look for "brackets" in the manual because (1) they're parentheses, and (2) the user manual is laid out such that you can navigate it if you can navigate the UI. See something in the General tab? Look in the relevant General section in the manual. See something in the torrent jobs list? Look in the Torrent Jobs List section. It really couldn't be any less confusing, unless you went out of your way to not bother looking at the table of contents.

Sure, but I'm not about to list every single possible alias for the same object in the manual. Parentheses are parentheses -- nothing ambiguous about that. Brackets can be curly brackets, square brackets, angle brackets, or what have you. I can reference many different types of brackets in the manual, and have the search facility be less useful, or I can call it parentheses as it is, and users can find it directly without having to wade through square/curly/angle brackets. Not that I actually use those terms anywhere, but the point stands.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a question that's related. I do understand the ratios as they concern seeds/peers and their related swarms.

What I do not understand is how do I get connected to the highest number of seeds possible? In other words, say I have a download that has a seed ratio of 5(16). How do I get connected to all 16, or at least the highest possible amount of seeds per that particular download, or is the number of connected seeds automatically handled via uTorrent? As far as tweaking the setting to get the highest number of connections, it's already set higher than anything I've downloaded yet, so in my example and as it relates to my settings, I should already be seeing something close to 16(16), yet I'm not, so again, why is this and is there anyway to fix it?

Thanks a bunch. I'm pretty computer savvy and I usually get the "concept" of things fairly quickly, but I can understand how some people cannot, so bear with them and cut them some slack. After all, ALL of us were newbies at one time or another, right? ;-)

"Sharing is Caring"

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slightly different question on the same subject.

If I am the creator of the torrent and my client shows Seeds: 0(11) and Peers: 8(15), is there any way to determine how many live, completed seeds there are?

Thanks in advance for any answers.:)

• 1 month later...

This post is really useful. Thanks for everyone who answer the post.

I have a slight different problem and hope that someone can help me with it.

currently,one of my download shows 0(835) seed. 0(538) peers. and the file is a tv series and was recently added (something like 2 weeks). I look at the tracker and it said everything is "working".

I never found any new torrent that act like this before. surely there should be someone seeding or leeching but for a total amount of the seed and leech in the swarm, is it possible that I am not connect to any of them?

If you guys say that it possible, I will just rest my case but I just want to make sure that it's not about my connection or my torrent engine.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow i thought i never find this information. it was just very difficult to search for 0 (4) or something like it. I was thinking that 0 means I am not directly connected but 4 people have download it. If i start to download it is not coming from the main seed but the piece are getting past on to person to person. for example my grandfather has all the cake at a table and passes one piece down. That person makes a copy of that piece and passes that one down eventually getting to me even though i am not connected to my grandfather directly. Is this way of thinking right? do i have the idea or close? I really like this forum :)

• 7 months later...

Just like to say thanks to legolad for explaining it so nicely as i was finding it hard to search for an explanation.

As for the brackets to my knowledge in the UK they are brackets not "parenthesis", i thought that was a high tech word for some sort of seed as it had "parent" in it.

So that may be something to think about for a UK translation as i also encountered this problem.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

First, a gigantic thank you to all of you who answered so thoroughly in this thread. Legolad, I found your summary to be a perfect bookend to all of that explanation. I've been looking for an answer to this question that I would understand for a really long time so THANK YOU.

I do have a related question.

So now that I understand what my seeds and peers columns mean I see that I am seeding a file with 3 (204) (three of 204 peers downloading from me). I am only seeding one file at a time to maximize my upload speed but somehow my speed is stuck between 7-13kb/s. If I try seeding another episode that speed drops even lower. The seed to peer ratio is 1.189 so there are loads of seeds.

Does the high seed / peer ration affect my upload speed at all? (Because there are so many places for peers to get the files?)

I know that it is standard to upload at least 100% of the file, however at this speed it might take me a week! Is there some way I can speed this up that is in my power or am I doomed due to my own broadband speed (I thought this wasn't it because I can download at up to 100 kb/s)

Thank you for any explanations!

Archived