Seed / Peer count explanation

dudeboyz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can only control the maximum upload transfer rate that connected peers are uploading at, if there are not enough connected peers to reach that rate there is nothing you can do about it.

same with downloads, if the peers/seeds have no slots free or have your client is choked your client is not going to get "high" speeds, added to that many people have their settings way off ideal and the client is then wasting time and resources attempting to service too many connections. uTorrent is not the workhorse that people try to use it as.

You can only control the maximum upload transfer rate that connected peers are uploading at, if there are not enough connected peers to reach that rate there is nothing you can do about it.

same with downloads, if the peers/seeds have no slots free or have your client is choked your client is not going to get "high" speeds, added to that many people have their settings way off ideal and the client is then wasting time and resources attempting to service too many connections. uTorrent is not the workhorse that people try to use it as.

Okay, so sorry I know this has careened off topic, but how do I know then whether or not the problem lies with me or with my seeds/peers?

And I'm trying to wrap my head around the seed/peer concept. Does having a lot of seeds/peers mean that upload/download speeds will be higher (greater chance that someone has ideal settings)? e.g. a long lost tv show might have only a few seeds and peers but a popular movie downloads quickly because it has a healthy line of seeds/peers?

Thank you for answering my daft questions.

Does having a lot of seeds/peers mean that upload/download speeds will be higher
Maybe, maybe not.

There could be thousands of seeds reported by trackers, but if you cannot connect to any for whatever reason, it may as well be just the one.

but how do I know then whether or not the problem lies with me or with my seeds/peers?
if you have 10+ connected seeds over all jobs and transfer is still only a 'trickle' rather than a 'torrent', THEN you can assume it's you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i know i'm late to the party, but i too want to thank legolad for his excellent explanation of seeds and peers. i have read the utorrent manual, and while it is a comprehensive explanation of how utorrent works, i was still confused about the basic relationship of seeds and peers. i get that it's not that difficult to understand, but as a new user, it was still confusing. no offense to the utorrent moderators, but legolad's description was logical, well written, and more informative than others that i've read.

thanks to legolad and all the others who have contributed to this post.

• 11 months later...

Archived