Uploads more than set limit

ljhsquall

I do not have alternative upload rate set. Nor using the scheduler. It doesn't stay above all the times, does drop after a while. Then can suddenly shoot up again and I have to wait for it to drop below the limit. I have about slightly less than 256kbps upload. I am on a cable 4000/256 advertise connection and the actual rates are just slightly below. What puzzled me is that I have a low upload bandwidth and yet the upload can shoot to 30+ kilobytes per sec sometimes then fluctuating.

Other than this I do not have much problem with utorrent. Most of the time it did not goes above the limit. Just wanna know what causes that once in a while.

It goes over because of the bursty nature of TCP communications.

It's like trying to manage the flow rate of an earthquake...too many variables.

If you briefly exceed your upload max, your ISP may throttle the connection by delaying sends of some upload packets and/or dropping others. At the ragged edge of max upload speed, 1 second your speed could be nearly 0 while the next second your speed could spike over normal max (but most of it is illusionary as some of that data gets throttled or lost).

Archived