Association Error message...

jonnief

I receive an error message "torrent cold not be opened because associated helper application does not exist. Change association in your preferences".

Of course after reading the FAQ, I tried everything recommended there, the "associate with .torrent files" is greyed out, and there is no torrent listed under the Firefox preferences in the "View & Edit Actions" area.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

[MERGE]

I'm sorry,

is this problem too easy for anyone to reply to? I still would certainly appreciate the assistance, but it seems like people are only answering the more diffiult questions...

[MERGE]

I have tried searching the posts and follwed all advice their + the FAQ and still no luck. I have never used bittorrents before this (no other programs on my computer)...

Realize that the support here is free, and that many of the people helping have other things to attend to. Bumping your posts is NOT going to get your questions answered any more quickly -- not to mention the fact that it's against the rules.

What happened to the rest of the directions regarding Explorer and the Folder Options in this FAQ entry?

• 2 months later...

FWIW (and this was something I learned recently), people who don't see the dialog asking what to do with .torrent files and don't see TORRENT under the file types list in Firefox should go to about:config and check if you have a browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions option. If not, create it as a boolean. Either way, set the value to false. Afterwards, you should see the TORRENT file type listed in Firefox... From there, you can check the appropriate FAQ entry.

Archived