Complete System Crash

Sweet Mercury

Please read through the entire description of my issue before telling me I need to read FAQ—I've read it, and it's helped me narrow down the issue.

First, my issue isn't one of speed, connectivity, firewall blockage, or anything else as far as I can tell. The problem is that, whenever I run μTorrent, after a while, my entire system crashes. It doesn't just freeze, or lock up so I can alt+ctrl+delete out of it, the screen just goes black and the system reboots—as if the plug had been pulled. After it restarts, Windows explains that the system has recovered from "A serious error," and after reporting the bug to Micro$oft (who I'm sure jump all over this pressing issue), it takes me to a general error screen that says:

"Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? : No (see Next steps)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

Despite what MS says, I got no blue screen before shut down; just instant shutdown.

My main question is, essentially: has anyone else had such a similar, drastic problem? What was the cause/fix? Otherwise, μTorrent works as expected or better. Connections are fast and reliable, I connect to peers, download speed is faster than any other client, etc.

Full disclosure: I have a Linksys WRT54G router, firmware version 2.04.4, hardware version 2. Now just calm down, everyone, I've fully read the big, bold section in the FAQ as well as the Sticky thread at the top of this page. However, the issues described in those areas (the hanging, the bad connections, etc.) are not what I was experiencing. As stated, my connection is great (except when the entire OS crashes, of course). Now, since I didn't see this issue described with the other issues pertaining to the router, and since I wasn't experiencing the problems described with those routers, I assumed this is a separate issue. If this is a related issue, then Mods, please just answer in the affirmative and close/delete the thread at your discretion (preferable close, so I can see your response). I'll just either update my hardware (it's a few years old anyway) or try the firmware flashes suggested in the FAQ.

Also, I'm running CA Internet Security, but have experienced no issues with their firewall—especially since I followed μTorrent's instructions on setting up ports on my router (all of which went well and made the connection much quicker and more reliable).

Anyway, sorry for the excessive verbiage, and thanks in advance to whoever answers with helpful info.

Hi, funny I had that problem couple of months ago. Most of the time I didn't see it, while it was running alone, but I caught it every now then and suspected the burner first. A friend was suggesting some testprograms but suspecting the fan. Unfortunately these programs all didn't work with my CPU temperature and I got stuck at some 16% at memtest, BUT I do have 2 cats, using a laptop and am a bad housewife : so I cleaned the d thing, vacuum cleaned the fan (it was full with cat hair) and have the laptop on at least a distance of 10 cm fromt the table to let them get some air and since had no crashes anymore for weeks.

Unfortunately it started again yester day and when I just got home it obviously had happened again, but this time also all of my torrents are lost! Any idea?

Scottee

Hi, funny I had that problem couple of months ago. Most of the time I didn't see it, while it was running alone, but I caught it every now then and suspected the burner first. A friend was suggesting some testprograms but suspecting the fan. Unfortunately these programs all didn't work with my CPU temperature and I got stuck at some 16% at memtest, BUT I do have 2 cats, using a laptop and am a bad housewife : so I cleaned the d thing, vacuum cleaned the fan (it was full with cat hair) and have the laptop on at least a distance of 10 cm fromt the table to let them get some air and since had no crashes anymore for weeks.

Unfortunately it started again yester day and when I just got home it obviously had happened again, but this time also all of my torrents are lost! Any idea?

Scottee

Hmm, I have just recently—as in, last week—physically cleaned all the accumulated dust in my system. The program I use to check my system performance, Aida32 (which I only run when necessary, not all the time) tells me my CPU temp is around 100 F, which is normal. The fan is hair/dust free, and the tower has room for decent airflow. All of this is par for the course though, the only thing that had changed was the installation and running of μTorrent.

Plus, since I noticed this problem, I stopped running μTorrent, and have had no crashes. At all. My thought was that maybe the higher download speeds were having an effect on my harddisk(s) and the write speed. But 300-400 KB/s should be no problem, right? Plus, μTorrent has disk caching, I believe.

Since M$ told me this was a hardware issue, I thought that maybe the issue with μTorrent might have been a coincidence, but, since it only happens when the program is running and downloading (havent tested with μTorrent just seeding, yet) I have to assume that this is being caused by the program and a clash with some hardware driver.

I really like μTorrent, so I hope that I can resolve this without having to try a different BitTorrent client.

1) I'm a bit confused as to how your computer reboots on its own, but you got the error code from the BSOD -- did you actually see the error message? If not, then go to Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > [uNCHECK] Automatically restart, and tell us what the error code was.

2) What is your TCPIP.sys limit set to, and what do you have net.max_halfopen set to?

3) Are you sure you definitely don't have any of the applications listed in the FAQ, even if the symptoms described don't pertain to you?

4) Get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, File > Save, then copy and paste the process list in the .txt file that you save from there.

1) I'm a bit confused as to how your computer reboots on its own, but you got the error code from the BSOD -- did you actually see the error message? If not, then go to Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > [uNCHECK] Automatically restart, and tell us what the error code was.

Well, "reboot" is probably the wrong term. It just goes black as though the plug has been pulled, then begins the boot sequence. Then, when the startup is complete, Windows tells me that it has recovered from a serious error.

I followed the steps you stated here, and it was set to automatically restart. I unchecked it, ran μTorrent, and as expected, had a system crash. This time, however, I got a blue screen with the following full screen error message:

--------------------------

First, some generic advice to make sure I have adequate disk space (I do), then to update my hardware drivers and BIOS, and to disable BIOS caching/shadowing, though I don't know what that means. Also, to try changing video adapters. I have an NVIDIA video card that has been functioning perfectly for a few years now.

Then the technical info.

stop: 0x0000008E(0xC0000005, 0xEBA29A68, 0xEB8A2978, 0x00000000)

KmxCF.sys - Address EBA29A68 base at EBA21000, Datestamp 4534bfeb.

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

--------------------------

What any of that means, I cannot say. The numbers look like hex-base; designations in RAM maybe?

Also, on restart, I got the same generic web-page error message that I pasted into my OP.

The windows error report gave me this info:

Error signature

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : EBA29A68 BCP3 : EB8A2978

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd29b.dir00\Mini120606-03.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd29b.dir00\sysdata.xml

2) What is your TCPIP.sys limit set to, and what do you have net.max_halfopen set to?

I don't know how to check any of that. If it's something you can explain without too much trouble, I will get you that info.

3) Are you sure you definitely don't have any of the applications listed in the FAQ, even if the symptoms described don't pertain to you?

Yes. I use CA for my Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Firewall. (CA used to be eTrust.) As I said, I dod have the problematic Linksys router, but there was no mention of complete system crashes in the issues described. I have an NVIDIA video card, but I don't know if that's at all related to the NVIDIA firewall mentioned in the FAQ. Plus, I'm not having the memory issues described as being related to that software.

4) Get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, File > Save, then copy and paste the process list in the .txt file that you save from there.

Ok:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 51.52

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4 1.52

smss.exe 756 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 1052 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 1232 1.52 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 1384 1.52 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 240 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 848 6.06 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1240 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1540 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1980 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

LEXBCES.EXE 680 LexBce Service Lexmark International, Inc.

LEXPPS.EXE 860 LEXPPS.EXE Lexmark International, Inc.

UmxCfg.exe 1020 HIPS Configuration Engine CA

UmxFwHlp.exe 1072 HIPS Firewall Helper Service CA

spoolsv.exe 1224 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

UmxPol.exe 1632 HIPS Policy Manager Service CA

UmxAgent.exe 1736 1.52 HIPS Event Manager CA

capfsem.exe 2140 CA Personal Firewall Application CA, Inc.

isafe.exe 276 CA ISafe Service Computer Associates International, Inc.

ITMRTSVC.exe 552 eTrust PestPatrol Real-time service CA, Inc.

mdm.exe 1024 Machine Debug Manager Microsoft Corporation

nvsvc32.exe 1200 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 66.31 NVIDIA Corporation

SMAgent.exe 1584 SoundMAX service agent component Analog Devices, Inc.

wdfmgr.exe 284 Windows User Mode Driver Manager Microsoft Corporation

vetmsg.exe 568 CA Anti-Virus Realtime Messaging Service CA, Inc.

MsPMSPSv.exe 844 WMDM PMSP Service Microsoft Corporation

alg.exe 1892 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

iPodService.exe 3992 iPodService Module Apple Computer, Inc.

lsass.exe 1460 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 1088 3.03 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

jusched.exe 1124 Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary Sun Microsystems, Inc.

DrvLsnr.exe 1624 DrvLsnr adi

DrgToDsc.exe 2588 Drag To Disc Application Roxio

aolsoftware.exe 3604 AOL America Online, Inc.

point32.exe 696 Point32.exe Microsoft Corporation

LXSUPMON.EXE 952 Supplies Monitor Lexmark International Inc.

tgcmd.exe 3708 Support.com Scheduler and Command Dispatcher Support.com, Inc.

iTouch.exe 2244 iTouch Application Logitech Inc.

cctray.exe 3796 CA Common Tray CA, Inc.

CAPPActiveProtection.exe 3936 CAPPActiveProtection Application CA, Inc.

cavrid.exe 2060 CA Anti-Virus Realtime Infection Report CA, Inc.

capfaem.exe 3728 30.30 CA Personal Firewall Application CA, Inc.

QOELoader.exe 4040 QOELoader Application CA

ctfmon.exe 1908 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe 3460 FreeRAM XP Pro (YourWare Solutions) YourWare Solutions

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 4000 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

trillian.exe 332 Trillian Cerulean Studios

Opera.exe 2904 Opera Internet Browser Opera Software

iTunes.exe 2436 iTunes Apple Computer, Inc.

utorrent.exe 1852

procexp.exe 768 3.03 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

iTunesHelper.exe 2800 iTunesHelper Module Apple Computer, Inc.

Ahhh, crap.

Thank you both DreadWingKnight and Ultima. Unless I completely overlooked it, this should probably be added to the list of incompatible software in the FAQ, since I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

I don't know if I can uninstall the firewall without uninstalling everything else in the suite. I do know that I can manually disable it—think that will help?

Because the firewall, as a program, was not blocking any incoming connections once I did the μTorrent port-forwarding, and didn't bloack μTorrent's access to the internet, slow down the transfers, etc. What I mean is, it wasn't a problem with the "firewalling" in general. It would seem that this KmxCF.sys file is somehow to blame?

Well, I'll try running μTorrent with the firewall disabled, to see what happens, and I'll try uninstalling it, messing with the settings, etc., maybe even checking with CA's websight. If I come across a useful fix, I'll let you know. If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know, as I would like to have some firewall protection on my computer, and I did pay for this one =).

ps: Are we sure it's the CA firewall and not anything else in the CA "Suite?" Because I can't really uninstall all my protection.

edited to add: Also, the only other BitTorrent client i have tried was the native client, but I had no issues with crashing like this, just speed (which was solved with the port forwarding).

"Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > [uNCHECK] Automatically restart"

Does not prevent automatic rebooting. This problem is caused by the failure of various drivers which cannot be prevented from initiating a reboot, according to system info. This sucks, but if there was a way, I'd love to know. It's infuriating to have it happen when caused by software or even by remote access. Power spikes are bad enough.

Not only that, when back in I find all the downloading pieces from all torrents have disappeared, thus much data loss as well. That also occurs whenever utorrent crashes, and I have to reboot manually.

Well, it stopped my computer from entering the reboot routine. With that option unchecked, I get a blue screen that gave me more detailed information about the error, which helped others diagnose my problem.

I didn't lose any pieces from torrents, though. Each time they picked up right where they left off.

@everyone:

Well, problem solved, it seems. Thank you for your help in identifying the issue.

It was, in fact the CA Personal Firewall and only the firewall. I tried running μTorrent with the firewall manually disabled. I had a decent run but, after about an hour, I had the same system crash. I then uninstalled the firewall, ran μTorrent, and have had it up (seeding some stuff to keep the individual torrent ratio at or above 1) for over 12 hours without a single issue. All this while still running the other CA programs (Anti Virus, Anti Spyware).

Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and to anyone with a similar problem, to uninstall just the firewall while keeping the other programs in the suite, just go to Add/Remove programs, find CA Security Suite, click on "Remove." It will then prompt you with a list of the programs; uncheck the ones you want to keep, and continue with the uninstall. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know its bad form to bump old posts but I just felt the need to point out that this is ALMOST EXACTLY what is happening to me, down to the error message. When I followed the unchecking of the restart box I get this blue screen with white text with similar error message to that above. Then the windows error report switches from time to time, though, mostly blaming the restart on my nvidia graphics card. Howver it only happens when running utorrent. I read another post about having a lexar usb pendrive I think, I do have one of those but havent used it in months.

I took the liberty of running that processes checker thingy:

System Idle Process 0 99.23

System 4

smss.exe 468 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 516 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 540 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 588 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 788 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 1076 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

svchost.exe 840 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

wuauclt.exe 1856 Windows Update AutoUpdate Client Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 964 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1004 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1140 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

nvsvc32.exe 1352 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 91.47 NVIDIA Corporation

omniServ.exe 1368

wdfmgr.exe 1504 Windows User Mode Driver Manager Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 608 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

OPXPApp.exe 1480

explorer.exe 1916 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

utorrent.exe 1992

IEXPLORE.EXE 880 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 888 0.77 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

No clue what these all mean, not really a tech kinda girl, but if anyone could pretty please help me that would be amazing. I think I covered everything, if not I do apollogize in advance.

Only 3 entries even slightly worry me:

1.GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 1076 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

2.omniServ.exe 1368

3.OPXPApp.exe 1480

1.I am very wary of 'helper' apps for web browsers such as toolbars, as they are likely adware and spyware which by their very nature are meant to screw a computer up. Please consider reading up about it and deciding if you need it, as quite likely you don't...and it may fix your problem by removing it.

2. & 3.I do not know what these .exe files are, and apparently they didn't bother to identify themselves to Process Explorer. This isn't uncommon even with drivers to make hardware work, but knowing what they are would help us know if they're harmless (drivers), cause problems (buggy software/drivers), or are intentially hostile (spyware/viruses). I suggest using a search engine (like google) to find out what these .exe files are for...and whether they are spyware which does more than they say they do!

I have the same problem and it is computer associates firewall

I spoke to them about this and they have said that it is the .dll files in utorrent

their solution was to run azureus instead but I really don't like this idea as I find utorrent the best( I'll change my firewall instead)

they said to me if the problem keeps happening to tell them what the .dll files utorrent uses and they will add them in the next update

how do I find out what .dll files are used or can someone tell me.

cheers das

Okay, an Idea given to me by a computer friend of mine, he said that my computer runs hot at like 107degrees, and that utorrent is a type of program that uses up all of the computer thus making the power supply kick. Whereas other programs such as trillian ventrillo and others run on the "surface". He said that w/e device that draws the last bit of power will show up as the cause of the error, which would explain why its seemingly random. Does this seem like anything that would be possible? Is there an "system consuming" program that I could d/l to test for the same effect. Any thoughts of this?

Actually, µTorrent on well-behaved systems uses far lower resources, ram, cpu cycles than other file-sharing programs...especially other BitTorrent programs! The one exception is hard drive activity while µTorrent is running -- it still may be constant. However if you made µTorrent's RAM cache really large (like bigger than the total size of the torrent/s being shared), even that would be very low activity...though you'd be eating mad amounts of ram to do so.

• 1 year later...

Well I know this is a really old post but I am having a very similar problem... but somehow different than above. Like the others my system only crashes when running Utorrent. When the blue screen comes up it says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you have seen this message appear... (bunch of general advice such as check device drivers)

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00011000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF787CF71)

*** Sbbotdi.sys - Adress F787CF71 base at F787C000, Date Stamp 46CAC7B9

Start Dumping physical memory

Memory Dump Complete

If problem persists contact system admin.

I also ran that Process Explorer program and this is what I got from that:

System Idle Process 0 100.00

System 4

smss.exe 660 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 724 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 760 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 804 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

ati2evxx.exe 980 ATI External Event Utility EXE Module ATI Technologies Inc.

svchost.exe 1000 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

NMIndexStoreSvr.exe 3480 Nero Home Nero AG

WLLoginProxy.exe 2276 WLLoginProxy.exe Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1080 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1192 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1284 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1400 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

vsmon.exe 1464 TrueVector Service Zone Labs, LLC

ScanningProcess.exe 1852

ScanningProcess.exe 1984

spoolsv.exe 1916 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 540 Apple Mobile Device Service Apple, Inc.

AluSchedulerSvc.exe 1156 Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler Service Symantec Corporation

mDNSResponder.exe 1256 Bonjour Service Apple Inc.

libusbd-nt.exe 1384 LibUsb-Win32 - Generic USB Library http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net

NBService.exe 1708 Nero BackItUp Nero AG

PnkBstrA.exe 2112

svchost.exe 2328 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

VideoAcceleratorService.exe 2372 VideoAcceleratorEngine Speedbit Ltd.

VideoAcceleratorEngine.exe 2528 VideoAcceleratorEngine Speedbit Ltd.

NMIndexingService.exe 3212 Nero Home Nero AG

iPodService.exe 3388 iPodService Module Apple Inc.

alg.exe 3856 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1972 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

usnsvc.exe 1764 Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 828 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

ati2evxx.exe 1540 ATI External Event Utility EXE Module ATI Technologies Inc.

explorer.exe 464 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

smax4pnp.exe 1216 SMax4PNP Analog Devices, Inc.

vsnpstd3.exe 1276 CameraMonitor Application

iTunesHelper.exe 1776 iTunesHelper Module Apple Inc.

zlclient.exe 284 ZoneAlarm Client Zone Labs, LLC

mantispm.exe 3176 Spam Filter

ctfmon.exe 416 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe 428 Logitech Desktop Messenger Logitech Inc.

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 1968 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

msmsgs.exe 1580 Windows Messenger Microsoft Corporation

SMSystemAnalyzer.exe 712

NMBgMonitor.exe 368 Nero Home Nero AG

SetPoint.exe 1488 Logitech SetPoint Event Manager (UNICODE) Logitech Inc.

KHALMNPR.exe 2600 Logitech KHAL Main Process Logitech Inc.

msnmsgr.exe 3644 Messenger Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 2956 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

uTorrent.exe 3800

MOM.exe 1312 Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

CCC.exe 204 Catalyst Control Centre: Host application ATI Technologies Inc.

dwwin.exe 3784 Microsoft Application Error Reporting Microsoft Corporation

iexplore.exe 2052 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

DAP.exe 4028 Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) Speedbit Ltd.

Sorry to bump such an old post but any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Dear Friends hi!

I've been having the same problem, namely my computer turns off all of a sudden and reboots. I've noticed that this has been happening on and off for the last month and after I've updated older versions. It seems that the machine goes into a reboot tantrum: it may reboot, load the initial screen with the Windows XP logo and then reboot again. It may not even have the time to load Windows at all, it just rurns on and off. Or it may go as far as the log in screen and it can even go further than that and stay stable for five or ten minutes, but the screen turns black all of a sudden and it reboots. I've also been wondering if a cause might be the load of downloading/uploading files. Could the machine crash if one has a large number of files working at the same time?

Experimentally, I have uninstalled uTorrent for a while and the computer has been working non-stop for several hours now. I'm so thrilled it is functioning properly again, that I am a bit wary of reinstalling uTorrent. Do you think I should install some older version?

I'll be deeply indebted if I could have some response on this.

Lots of anticipated thanks.

D.

• 4 months later...

Dear All hi!

I had sent a message on 8th February 2008 describing a problem with my system which rebooted by itself. At the time I thought it might have been a virus which caused the sudden and complete crash and subsequent rebooting.

Well, TODAY( 26th June 2008-41/2months later!!!) I realised that the problem derived from my graphics card (faulty hardware as the Admin states in the last post). There is a fan on the graphics card, but the way the card is installed the fan is below the card. I did not even realise there was a fan there. That fan obviously has worked intermittently during this time and the video card temperature soared high, until it stopped working altogether. That's when blackouts were the most frequent and I decided to "disembowel" my system. When I realised that the fan was not working I nearly screamed "eureka!" Well, I don't know if I find a spare part to replace the fan or if I have to buy a new video card, but for the time being I used a drop of simple sewing machine lubricant which I administered on the minute axis of the fan which turned with my finger until the movement was easier. I gave it a second drop and started blowing on the fan until the movement was completely easy. Now it works fine and no more blackouts of the system. Just pay attention to fans in your system as they many cause real trouble when they stop.

Cheers to all.

D.

P.S.: (8th July 2008). Well, it was the video card, but despite the remedies the blackouts continued, less rarely but continued. So I replaced the card and now everything is fine.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

D.

Archived