Port 80 usable?

Lester Burnham

You probably know where I'm going with this... ;-)

I've tried setting this up, so that I can use a port that means I should be able to use the web GUI at work. I was getting nowhere configuring utorrent to use port 80 for the web UI.

I can have it working using port 1494 (normally ICA) - and that works just peachy, locally, using localhost and my pukka IP address (ie have windows firewall allow it, manually port forward on my home router). But I must be restricted via my work connection using 1494 to certain sites (ie not anywhere), so unusable from work.

So if I try and setup port 80 to do the same (my PC isn't running any web server, so utorrent would be the only thing listening on port 80), using exactly the same procedure - make sure that windows firewall is happy allowing traffic in on port 80, and port forward it on my router.

However, if I try and connect to 127.0.0.1, or my real address, I no longer get the UI displayed via the web-y bit.

Is there some special reason why I can't use port 80 for this?

If some other application is using port 80 without you noticing it the webui/µtorrent won't be able to listen on it. Check for any webserver application that you might have running.

You should be able to use port 80 if its not occupied. I don't know how windows Firewall likes it. You could try turning it off to see if it is the problem.

Besides if you are behind a Hardware Router that requires port forwarding I'd turn off Windows firewall unless you don't trust the other computers in your network to be free of viruses, Trojans and hackers (the people). With a non-IE browser (Firefox or Opera recommended) and a decent Virus scanner your as safe as can be and Windows Firewall has nothing to add but trouble.

I checked port 80 usage before and after configuring utorrent to use it for the web ui.

Using netstat -a, port 80 / http isn't listed as listening before configuring utorrent. Afterwards, it is listed as listening.

I only did that out of puzzlement, really - I'm definitely running a web server on my PC, I was just double-checking to make sure no other app was listening on the port.

It's odd - I can have it working using port 1494, but it appears that the coporate firewall won't allow this to just anywhere. Switch my configuration to using port 80, and it won't even respond locally connecting to 127.0.0.1 / localhost.

OK that's a reasonable point - but I'm not even getting that far - port 80 won't work with localhost / 127.0.0.1 or my local IP address, THIS side of my router, before it even gets across my router to my cable modem.

So it's nothing to do with my ISP restricting port 80 access, 'cos it's not even working locally.

O.O

Whoops, I sorta missed that point in your posts ;o

Um... for one thing, how do you have port 80 set in µTorrent? Via alternative listening port? Have you tried setting µTorrent's default listening port to 80, and just disabling the alternative listening port (if you don't use the alternative, it should be disabled)? Other than that, the only thing I can possibly think of as a cause would be your firewall configuration, though that's already been brought up.

As to where I set port 80 it was in the alternative listening port - in the web UI settings.

I have the default listening port randomised at each run of utorrent (/trying/ to stay away from traffic shaping!).

However, that didn't cause me a problem when using port 1494 - all I've been really doing is configuring it to work as I did for port 1494, when that worked.

When the only thing I change being the alternative port number, and to port 80, I was just kinda wondering if there's something I'm not understanding as to why port 80 wouldn't work for me.

Well your case most certainly is a mystery to me.

I assume the 'corporate firewall' your talking about as a machine in the network and not an application on your computer (Just checking!!).

Can you try different browsers (Fx2, IE, Opera) to connect locally to port 80? Its not a common or normal problem so I'm starting thinking outside the box if u don't mind :P

@schnurlos: wtf?

• 1 month later...

I AM NOT ABLE TO FORWARD THE PORT AND DUE TO THIS I AM NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD UTORRENT I AM GETTING THIS MESSAGE WHEN I M TRYING :-

Checking port 43657 on 203.153.42.18...

Error! Port 43657 does not appear to be open

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME IN HELPING ME INSTALL THE PORT I WILL BE VERY THANKFUL/

PLZ MAIL ME AT MY EMAIL ID ankit_job@rediffmail.com

Archived