OneCare Firewall & uTorrent

CRCError1970

I'm not quite sure how to get this question worded right, so I'm going to try my best to explain my problem.

First of all - Windows OneCare Firewall is not recognizing uTorrent as a program that tries to access the internet. Every other Client/Server exe gets detected when I start them up. I had to manually add uTorrent to the exceptions list.

uTorrent works perfectly if OneCare Firewall is turned off, so I know my router is port triggering fine. I also had the correct port (32459 in my case) on the exception list. But whenever the firewall was turned on, I would get a "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions." error message when uTorrent tried to update the tracker.

So I opened a broad range of ports to my machine and it started working correctly (1-6000 port range).

I then opened up NETSTAT and when I run it, I see that uTorrent is using a WIDE range of ports to report to the tracker.

The best way I can describe it is everytime uTorrent updates the tracker it picks a sequential port number.. Like when I first noticed it it was contacting the tracker on port 1108. Then it nest time it used port 1109... I have been running netstat every 10 seconds and now uTorrent is up to port 3648.

So I imagine I either have something configured wrong somewhere or uTorrent is rumming amok on me.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. I'd rather not have to open 3000+ ports to my machine if I don't need to.

http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd/doc/misc/ephemeral_ports.html

µTorrent uses the ephemeral port range to make OUTGOING connections. The ephemeral ports are there to be used by any application that needs them, so this behavior can only be described as normal and expected. INCOMING connections are only listened for on the port specified in Preferences > Connection.

Yeah I'm a noob... I completely spaced out about the whole idea of incoming and outgoing ports being completely different.

I got the problem fixed now - I added an outgoing port rule that pretty much covers the entire port range.

Kinda annoys me that the firewall still didn't allow the traffic when I added the exe as an exception. But it's working now!

Sorry for being such a jackass! :P

Not too many people know about ephemeral ports anyway, and not knowing something doesn't automatically categorize someone as a jackass, so I wouldn't exactly namecall you as such either :o

I consider someone a jackass when they're told to read clearly available documentation (like the FAQ), but they fail to read it, and instead, argue back :P

Thanks for the info by the way!

If I could ask one question though...

Accorrding to the link in your post - Windows by default uses ports 1024-4999 as it's "short-term" outgoing port range, so I should set my firewall to allow 'TCP outbound traffic' on just that port range, correct? As it is now I have it set to 1-60000 or some such.

Archived