Using uTorrent With Cingular... Port Problems

lacroixdp

Hello!

I live out in the country and unfortunately the only internet service out here is cellular... HSDPA (1.2mbps down; 384kbps up) is pretty speedy, but Cingular is putting up a fight. By default, their APN (isp.cingular) blocks all incoming requests and per them it is setup this way on purpose so that you don't host websites, etc... Unfortunately the only way to open all your ports is to pay $5000 on top of several hundred dollars a month for an external IP Address. uTorrent currently hits my upload limit, but my download limit is low (10KB/s). If I probe my ports using ShieldsUp, it reports all my ports as stealth. uTorrent port checker confirms this - these tests are undergone on the system that the aircard resides on, as well as no firewalls or NATs being up on my end. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get uTorrent performing better? I have DHT enabled, but I get a red exclamation point indicating an error. I've talked to several insiders at Cingular and there just isn't a way to open up any ports, so unfortunately that's not an option for me. Thanks for any ideas anybody has! :D

Those are just guesses, as I don't really know what's optimal for wireless connections, but I do know they might conk out much quicker than regular connections if you open too many simultaneous connections. You might have to play with those numbers, but the general gist of it is that you likely need to set the connection counts lower than the Speed Guide recommends.

May be using "Tor" would help, it encrypts the traffic going in/out of your pc so that ISPs don't know what is passing through their networks. I don't know if it will work for you and I also don't know if utorrent supports it (may be some one here can tell you about that)

see this website for more info about "Tor"

http://tor.eff.org/

and sorry that I won't be able to help you with "Tor" configuration because I'm not using it.

[MERGE]

I guess "Tor" is not needed because utorrent supports protocol encryption

http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Does_.C2B5Torrent_support_Protocol_Encryption.3F

Archived