Linksys QoS settings?

bluefiberoptics

That wouldn't change performance much. Instead, you could give higher priority to TCP port 80 so that web surfing is not interrupted by bittorrent.
I just got a Linksys 'Gamer' router with the QoS in it and that's what I did, gave port 80 high priority, and uTorrent a lower priority. Seems like web browsing is a little more responsive now.

That wouldn't change performance much. Instead, you could give higher priority to TCP port 80 so that web surfing is not interrupted by bittorrent.
I just got a Linksys 'Gamer' router with the QoS in it and that's what I did, gave port 80 high priority, and uTorrent a lower priority. Seems like web browsing is a little more responsive now.

You could also right-click on a torrent and set Bandwidth Allocation to Low..I think... :| and cap your upload to ~75% or so... :)

• 1 month later...

L7-filtering may give problems when you have a very fast connection, SOHO-routers are not equipped to handle it at very high speeds. QoS should not only make things like browsing more responsive, it should also allow you to download at full rate while using more than 80% of your upstream bandwidth. Personally, I use QoS for SSH and VOIP.

No, I seriously recommend not getting the Sveasoft firmware, there are much better options out there. :)

Firmware Tracker, to see which 3rd-party firmware works with your device:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=35

Comparison of the various 3rd-party firmwares:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=31

I checked Linksysinfo a few times before. I'm not just really interested in all the bells and whistles, but also how they compare internally and which software (busybox, udhcpd, etc) they use. The stock software and broadcom drivers from the Linksys-firmware are quite bugged, but so are some in the firmware's. Using Sveasoft Alchemy, upnp occasionally dies on me, dhcp does not always work, etc.

Archived