I've tried everything...

stuck_at_30kbs

...in this thread http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 and I still can't get over 30 kbs for my downloads.

My computer is a Pentium III, 1133 MHz, 1.13 GHz with 384 MB of RAM. My OS is Windows XP with Norton Anti-Virus 2006 as my protection.

I connect to the internet via my Sprint PCS Wireless (my cell phone is my modem) and it's a Broadband connection that guarantees me between 300 KB and 1.5 MB/sec depending on the connection.

The color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar is green.

Router - None.

I ran my speed test here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and my results were 788 (DL) / 70 (UL) kbs. At dslreports.com, the results were 592 / 78 (Kbps).

As a test, I downloaded a 26 MB file from a website and it took me less than eight minutes, but a 10 MB file on u torrent (with 20 active seeds and 10 peers) took over twenty-five minutes. So it's not my regular connection, but my settings.

Did you select xx/64k on the Speed Guide? How did the OpenOffice.org torrent run?

Yes, I have xx/64 selected on the speed guide. I tried to downoad the OpenOffice torrent but it's 92.3 megs and it too was downloading at 30 kbs per second. It'd take me 2-4 online sessions to get it all because, remember, I use my phone as a modem so when the battery dies out, so does my online time. When I DL anything, I only get 3 hours or less of battery life so 2-4 sessions at 3 hours each = 9-12 hours (rough estimate but trust me, I know the numbers).

HOLY CRAP! O_O

As you suggested, I increased my upload limit from 5 to 6 and I jumped from 30 kbs to 140 kbs!

Can you explain to me why that worked, or how did you know? I'd really like to know why that was the sticking point.

EDIT: I noticed that with the increase, when I tried to download a second torrent, it wouldn't do two at the same time. The first one automatically paused. When I stopped the second and resumed the first, I lost a lot of speed - it's now down to 55 kbs. :(

Ah, I see. Well, I left that number at 6 and my download speed went right back down to normal after I finished with that particular torrent file. :(

I even increased it to 10 but I haven't been able to approach 60kbs. The highest it's gone is 55 kbs but it fluctuates anywhere between 15 - 45 kbs, even though I ran a speed test today and the results were: 481/112 Kbps.

Archived