Why so much Wasted mb?

kaoru

• 1 month later...

ipfilter.dat can ban the most offensive hash fail sources.

...like all of 38.x.x.x for instance with this single line:

38.0.0.0-38.255.255.255

Secondly, if you allow LOTS of connections per torrent and/or many upload slots per torrent (resulting in <3 KB/sec per upload slot) then you increase the odds and amount of wasted data especially as the torrent finishes.

In my case I don't have many hashfails(<5), but I've like 100mb wasted for 700mb file and with 3 hashfails it's frustrating to know that your tight bandwidth is being wasted like this, and to compare network issues I found that emule wasted 89mb for 60GB which is very acceptable comparing to BitTorrent wasting.

BitTorrent can waste a lot more or less depending on your settings.

So comparing E-mule (which swarms files in a much more exclusive per-ip manner) to your current settings doesn't really help you solve your BitTorrent problem.

So what is your connection speed up and down and what are your settings?

(...even the 'lesser' settings matter!)

Here's my settings

- Internet connection

512/128 ADSL PPPoE

- uTorrent settings

Upload limit is 6 and I've unlimited download.

55 connection per torrent

TCPIP.sys patched to allow 500 half open connections

Global 200 connections limit

Number of upload slots per torrent 3

- Advanced Options

Max half-open connections 50

Prio first and last piece is true

TCPIP.sys is patched to an excessive amount.

And really, µTorrent's Max half-open connections probably shouldn't be above the default of 8 for your connection. (Mine's about 12x faster on download and 3x faster on upload and I've set mine to 4.)

Global 200 connections limit is at least 2 times what your connection can handle easily -- your bandwidth is getting tied up with overheads.

All this is certainly contributing to make your wasted data alot worse than if you'd used Speed Guide's xx/128k setting.

Archived