What are the IPs with the name "available.above.net"???

toddintr

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of IPs with the name "available.above.net" and when these are in the list, the torrent just crawls. Usually there are tens of them, something like 50 or 60, all identical except the prefix where the IP # is given.

I know this is not directly related to uTorrent, more related to torrents in general, but cut me some slack.

Any information?

Thanks --

Todd

@DreadWingKnight: Thanks, I did the "fake torrent" search, however, no one seems to specifically complain about what I am seeing. However, I am seeing kind of what they are seeing as well, which is high number of peers, but very few that are actually connected.

It may help to add to the speed guide information about anti-P2P groups and fake torrents - it might help cut down on questions.

Thanks again -

Todd

• 7 months later...

@License: Thanks for posting a follow-up to this old thread, I am not glad that this is happening to you, but I am relieved that I am not the only one to have experienced it. I have only come across one other instance since my original posting, and I learned to abandon the torrent in such cases. I did not know about ipfilter.dat, will try that next time it happens. BTW, usually happens with a torrent for a highly popular new release.

Todd

I read some of those materials, and if I understood right behind "available.above.net" is RIAA, MPAA, MediaSentry ...

With simple words: USA copyright associations fight war against piracy.

Now I just have more questions: Is this war legal? Is it futile? Can trackers make protection from this? ...

THX all for trying to resolve this mystery.

On the same subject, does anyone recognize seeing the following IP host often on torrents?:

148.43.170.61.broad.bx.sn.dynamic.163data.com.cn

Usually they have a china flag, and client reads either, bit[something], flashget, unknown xl, but NEVER Utorrent or Azureus. And I see FLOODS of these when I have DHT or encryption. The second I turn it off, 99% of them go away.

Anyone have an idea what this is about?

They may be using BitComet's (or something similar's) NAT bypass and/or old encryption routines to get by their ISP's throttling/blocking of BitTorrent traffic.

A tracker could be set up to automatically reject "bad" ip ranges and probably avoid 95+% of the available.above.net hostile ips. ...And the remaining <5% would probably be quickly found that way too.

The way so many available.above.net hostile ips connect to a tracker may very well qualify as a Distributed Denial of Service attack, so yeah it may be illegal...depending on where the tracker is at.

Archived