Client in Peer List Identified as (FAKE) UTorrent

warhippy

UTorrent v.1.6

A client name started being present in all the Peer Lists and the name changes every couple of minutes, it's IP address is always my ROUTERS address, and one of the names it identifies itself is, "(FAKE)UTorrent/1600". If this is not normal, how do I get rid of it?

• 2 weeks later...

If he's spoofing his IP address, is that normally done because he's trying to do something underhanded while he's connected to my computer? When I was configuring the VIP interface for the Torrent connection, I had to get help from the Netscreen tech support, Netscreen wasn't one of the router manufacturers listed, and Juniper's tech support FAQ's were in no way clear. During the help session, I had to give the tech support access to my firewall device, so by the time we had it configured he had all the info necessary to sidestep the authentication of the firewall and hook into my computer. Is it possible that the fake IP is the tech support doing some after-hours hacking? I've been having trouble with hackers for over 2 1/2 years now, so excuse me for being a little paranoid about unexplained presences in my computers. The instructions say that the peers only have access to the folder that contains the torrents, but if someone's using that as a vehicle to gain access to the rest of my computer, is there anything built-in to UTorrent to protect against that?

There is no way to gain total system control on the computer via µTorrent (or at least there is no known way ;\). I very much doubt it's the tech support, or "hackers" spoofing their IP address. Do you have another computer to test µTorrent on to see if you experience the same behavior?

Hmm, that's a good question, my MacBookPro didn't take a firmware upgrade very seriously, and it won't boot at the moment, and the other server I have that's bootable has a problem with the property pages in all the MMC processes, they're not accessable, including Device Manager and my network adaptor isn't being recognized, but I'll see if I can get that worked out and online and test the torrents with it. I'll be back with an answer later today. You trust tech support? I've found that whenever I've contacted any tech support with a hacker problem, it's like dropping a leg of lamb into Pirhanna infested waters, they want to see why I'm being hacked, so I gain one more person to share my bandwidth with. BBL

SBC (now at&t) does this. If they see something they don't recognize they've been known to try telneting into it. This happened to my cousin's voip server that was running redhat. When they couldn't connect to it they actually called him to find out what it was.

The instructions say that the peers only have access to the folder that contains the torrents, but if someone's using that as a vehicle to gain access to the rest of my computer, is there anything built-in to UTorrent to protect against that?

Not only µTorrent but bittorrent in general does not work like that. You're thinking of Kazaa & Ares, as there is no shared folder in bittorrent.

• 9 months later...

Archived