My USB External Hard Drive won't recognize any downloads

judyduck

Could someone please tell me how to change the location where dl are stored.I had to reinstall windows and plug in my external hd.Utorrent won't recognize it even though I put down what the computer says the drive letter is.Is it possible to change the drive letter of that drive to another letter.It used to be F: now the comp wants to call it E:.Any help would be greatly appreciated.I hope I picked the right place to ask this ? If I change it to C: main drive how do I get the program to recognize that I have changed it. Turn it off? Sorry to ask this simple but probably dumb ? but it's driving me nuts. Thank you so much for anh help you can offer!!!

In windows XP:

R-click on My Computer -=> Manage -=> Storaeg -=> Disk Management -=> r-click on the drive -=> Change Drive Letter and Paths -=> Press Change -=> Select Letter for pull-down menu -=> Ok -=> Ok

1) The new drive letter you want to use should not be taken by any other device. If an other device (including CD/DVD drives) is using it you will have to change the letter of that drive to free it up.

2) You should not be accessing anything on the drive you are changing. This includes an open Explorer window or any other running program reading from it. If you are accessing any file on the drive you want to change it will warn you about it and it will change the drive letter but keep the other one too until reboot (especially annoying if you wanted to free a letter up).

3) You cannot change the drive letter of System, page file and Boot partitions. It will say Healthy (System/Boot/Page File) in the lower half of the screen where are the partitions per HD are listed.

4) If you have mapped network drives you can change the letter without errors but either the drive or the network drive won't be accessible using the drive letter then.

Thankyou so much for the instructions on how to rename drive (USB) I followed your instructions and now the drive says USB F:\ F:\. I can' seem to get the last F: to go away and it messes up when I go to look for anything I have dl.Is there a away to eliminate the second F:\.I made sure nothing was running and I re=started the computer.I appreciate your response and I think we are almost there.Could you lead me thru the last part so that when I am finished it just says USB F:\.I'm sure it will work that way becaus before the main hard drive crashed it worked perfect as USB F:\.Right now the drives are named A: Floppy C: Main hard drive D: Cdrw/dvd rom.I'd like to fix this before I try and plug in the old hard drive I just removed and put into an external enclosure.I'm hoping that the drive is not completely fried, because there is lots of stuff I'f like to transfer over to new main C: drive. Anyway I'm thinking that the computer will name this drive if it still works at all to probably E:, it too will be an external USB drive 30gb.I;m sure it's possibe for the computer to give it another letter as long as it's not F:\.Anyway, any help you can offer to finally resolve this problem would be great.Right now I'm not able to save anything to F:\ because the computer thinks it's still E: F:.By the way since I changed it to F: even though it says F: twice why does the computer still think it's E: I need to figure out how to tell the computer that it's not E:F: just F:I.'m sure you get the picture.I'm hoping that there is a simple answer to this problem. Thanks so much-I look forward to your answers! J

Archived