Recommended settings so VOIP still works well?

Suntzu

I have an "up to 5 Mbps" connection. I run a TS server on the same connection as Utorrent. I wonder if any of you could recommend settings that would permit 4-5 users to log into TS and not disconnect them. I have the very recommended GL Linksys wireless router with third party firmware on it. The TS server is not running on wireless however.

Any tips are appreciated. I would like to dl at a reasonable speed while not taking all the connections/bandwidth so others can still connect to my system.

Edit: To be more specific, I am working with Teamspeak. I did find something on QoS and Vonage... working on it to see if this would also apply to Teamspeak.. :)

Suntzu

I have a Dlink DGL-4300 router. I have enabled the game fuel option with is a quality of service option. I set my uTorrents port to a prioity of 255. This is the lowest priority. My Sunrocket VOIP service still works great. Also my wife is happy while she is surfing the web.

In the past I had real issues using any torrent client, it would saturate the network. I also have a 5/384 cable connection.

Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks!

My router is the WRT54GL. I have upgraded the firmware to one of the two most popular packages. I don't recall the name but it's not the one with "DD" in the name.

So if I understand correctly from what you are saying and what I have read, I just set my Utorrent port to "low" priority both ways under the QoS settings. Everything else can stay as it is... Does this work on both upload and download bandwith? I read somewhere that it might not affect download, just upload since the packets from your ISP can't be prioritized... does this make sense?

Also, I am wondering what is actually occuring. Does this mean that Utorrent speed will never be able to acheive its max even though nobody is using VOIP or games, etc? Or does it simply mean that as soon as other ports open, Utorrent then falls back into a "low priority" mode?

Any links to good guides for torrent and Linksys router firmware would be appreciated. I'd love to read up on it.

Thanks again

I had this exact configuration as you. WRT54GL and DD-WRT and still struggled with the QOS for my VOIP. At the time I had just purchased the Linksys router but went ahead and spent the money on the Dlink. I have always been a Linksys guy but for the QOS I have to go with Dlink.

This router is using Steam Engine technology from Ubicom. You can read more here http://www.ubicom.com/pdfs/whitepapers/StreamEngine-WP-20041031.pdf.

Dlink, Linksys and Hawkins sells an external device based on this technology. I had the Dlink DI-102 and it worked ok.

I decided on an integrated device for more control and flexibility. The DGL-4300 was the answer for me.

You can see my response to someone else on the configuring of the device. http://www.sunrocketforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1554

Also this router profide 4 Gigabit ports.

Archived