Running as a service

ot

I would love if utorrent had an automatic way to install as a service. I will just do it manually for now... I have it running on a box where nobody logs in locally and I want it running all the time. The webui makes it perfect for running on a server.

All of you who say "I dont need this so dont add it!" are ignorant jerks, but thanks for your input anyway :P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is fine Guest, if I want someone to be able to be sitting here after the power goes out and have access to my computer. Which is easier for me, checking a box that makes µTorrent a Window service, or ( assuming someone is computer saavy enough ) googling what I need to have windows log-on to a passworded account automatically, and then how to make it lock?

Obviously, for the dev team not implementing the feature is easiest for them, but then we wouldn't be here talking if that was a realistic option for them, we prolly wouldn't even have this wonderful program. :)

Inac

• 3 weeks later...

+1 I too would like to have uTorrent running in the background as a service. Currently using RDP to access a 'puter exposed outside of my SOHO router so it won't be hindered by low throughput through the router but having to keep an RDP session alive (even if disconnected) just doesn't feel right.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it seems that many of the points brought up in the past have been negated with windows vista.

While I'm currently running uTorrent as a service on my Vista PC using srvany, it still doesn't give me access to the full uTorrent UI. Yes, I get the web interface, so basic torrent management is doable when running as a service - but vista now doesn't allow services to interact with the local user's desktop directly (one of the many new "security" features)

What happens is (for those who don't have Vista) - you'll get the occasional prompt that says an application requires your attention (or words to that effect), and if you choose to respond, you get directed to a separate desktop in which uTorrent runs alone - you do what you have to do, then return to your normal desktop.

There's no way of bringing up the uTorrent window without it "requesting your attention", and it doesn't run in the same desktop as the rest of your applications.

I totally understand that introducing a native "run uTorrent as a service" option for XP was not needed (srvany did just fine!), but unless I'm missing something - users of vista may still require this feature.

• 1 month later...

There's no way of bringing up the uTorrent window without it "requesting your attention", and it doesn't run in the same desktop as the rest of your applications.

[Window Title]

Interactive services dialog detection

[Main Instruction]

A program can't display a message on your desktop

[Content]

The program may need information or permission to complete a task.

Why does this happen?

[^] Hide program details [show me the message] [Remind me in a few minutes]

[Expanded Information]

Program(s) or devices(s) requesting attention.

Message title: µTorrent 1.7 BETA

Program path: G:\Standalone\µTorrent\utorrent.exe

Received: Today, April 23, 2007, 5 minutes ago

This problem happens because of partial incompatibility with Windows Vista.

Please contact the program or device manufacturer(s) for more information.

That's true with FireDaemon as well. I was wondering how you manually bring up the uTorrent Service GUI because it doesnt create the Tray icon.

Edit:

Hi,

I was wondering how do you get the Add New Torrent dialogBox of uTorrent while running it as a Windows Service.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can see why running uTorrent as a service could benefit folk.

At present I run uTorrent on my XP machine. I have set this up to automatically

log me in to my account, then to switch users straight away. This allows all my

applications to start up while denying access to my account.

And this worked....................for a while.

My problem is that I am away from home for weeks at a time, which is why I set

this up and access it through WebUI. My kids are not keen on this as it interferes

with thier gaming. And they have found out how to stop my account logging in

autonatically. Just hold the shift key when booting.

So running uTorrent as a native service would be a dream come true and I desperately

want it, but I can't see it happening.

Why?

Networking.

I set up uTorrent using srvany, to run from my account and that part works. Problem

is that, as far as I can tell, networking services start after log-in, so if you've got a

wireless network, you aren't going to have a network to access unless you login. As

yet, I have not figured out how to start the networking services before log-in.

Should that be overcome, then that could raise possible other security issues such as

running network services without firewalls etc. I'm not an expert in these fields so I

could be talking out my arse, but assuming I'm half correct, then the developers could

open themselves up to a world of pain, because not every system is the same and

implementing this could be different on everyones set-up. Forums, such as this, could

be inundated with "How do I get this to work...." etc.

Until the time comes that these 'percieved' problems are addressed and uTorrent finally

has the option to become a native service (Please, pretty please) I will continue with

the set up I've got and look to adding Scheduler as a service so I can reboot my system

automatically periodically.

Lastly, my thanks must go to the development team. Who I assume are affiliated

with Carlsberg, because "uTorrent, probably the best program in the world"

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

+1

Running as a service is the way servers are supposed to work in windows.

Implementing at least a basic version where only the webui would work, is simply a matter of handling a few new window messages.

The next step from there would be a helper program associated with .torrent to upload torrents.

To do it fully the GUI would have to be totally separated from the backend, with a network protocol for them to communicated. This would be ideal, but not required.

Vote 1 for basic Native Windows Service support in 1.9! (or 1.8?)

:) *hopeful smiley*

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for this feature.

I tried the alternative method (srvany) on a WinXP Pro box, but it didn't seem to work.

I got µTorrent running as a user defined service !

The instructions on this page are better.

WebUI is pretty much sufficient for administration. I only wish it worked better with Opera. It doesn't seem to favour anything but Firefox.

It doesn't favor any particular browser. It's tested on most modern browsers to make sure it's as cross-browser compatible as Directrix can make it. Of course, some browsers just suck (*cough*IE6*cough*), and others are limited in what they can do (Opera has limited support for right-click menus, and acts a bit weirdly with hotkeys). Not something Directrix can really do all too much about.

• 2 months later...

how about security?

if you could setup utorrent to run as a service i could set it up to run as a highly ristricted user

It would have access to the full access to the utorrent folder, read only to system folders and no access to network shares.

Currently i have to run as a domain user, have it auto start and worry that if an exploit is found that the attacker would have full access to my system. If it was a service they would have access to just what the limited user has.

Every serious 24/7 program runs as a service.

not everyone runs windows in the workgroup enviroment ... fast user switching is not posable in a domain.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived