The importance of upload behaviour in getting best downloads

kurahashi

What I want to say here is probably obvious for many of us, but may be not so obvious for new uTorrent users, so I'd like to emphasize it one more time: the high (possible highest) and stable upload is a guarantee of getting best possible (for current torrents) speeds

I repeat - high and stable.

If our upload is high but unstable, it will most probably chock the download.

If our upload is stable but low, the other peers will choose the peers with higher uploads, and therefore we will get lower downloads.

Stable upload looks like this (all screencaps from uTorrent speed tab, 1second resolution):

idealor1.th.jpg

Take a note how upload (red) line is almost perfectly flat. This is very good. Upload is very stable, although it may be still possible to tweak it higher without losing its stability. Nothing cost us to experiment a little (we should have our last good configuration saved of course)

Small fluctuation of upload like this one:

stillnotbaddv0.th.jpg

are not the reason to panic, they usually are first sign our setup is not optimal but not necessarily. For example, in this particular case upload starting to fluctuate because download is too close to its maximumand this time it is download which chockes upload (rare case, but nevertheless possible)

Now, this is bad:

wrongae3.th.jpg

It is typical situation when the upload limit (dark red line) is set too high. The download is doing surprisingly not too bad, but when we lower upload limit enough to make it stable, we can expect much better downloads.

Good luck in tweaking your upload to the optimal values.

• 4 months later...

Quite normal, I think.

You have no influence to the number of seeds and peers in the swarm, and there is no sense in tweaking total number of connections for every single torrent.

Number of your connection should be left as setup guide suggest. If you have notorious problems with full saturation of your upload (and you are really sure it is set to the correct value) then you can try increase number of connections a little, maybe even add another upload slot. But usually this won't be necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I must admit this thread can insipire ppl to not just sit there while their upload is fluctuating like the ocean during a catastrophic storm (like I was yesterday before reading the thread), playing those factors actually did help stabilize my upload speed at first, but the lvllord patch did work it's magic for me.

Where in previous attempts to maximize my uploads, I get only 6-7 KBps and that's fluctuating abit (with max upload setting at 10KBps, my ISP upload speed is 128 kbps/16KBps), now after the patch I actually got abit more than 10 KBps and STABLE :). Same torrent and same setting other than the patch (set to 50 half open ports). So yes, I'm a happy chap now, can't feel any better since I'm 10 gigabytes away from the 1.0 share ratio. But I'll get there much sooner thanks to your thread.

Oh yeah, you might want to put what factors that we might need tweaking in your original post since it's not that clear at first sight. It helps people who're just getting familiar with uTorrent.

Well I didn't meddle with utorrent's half open settings, just used the patch to open up Windows total number of half open ports.

Encourages leeching? The more stable the upload speed then the more data moving around, hence more sharing ... and it would help me give back to the community faster.

Oh yeah, you might want to put what factors that we might need tweaking in your original post since it's not that clear at first sight. It helps people who're just getting familiar with uTorrent.

Uhm. Maybe you're right. But not now. Later. :)

Encourages leeching? The more stable the upload speed then the more data moving around, hence more sharing ... and it would help me give back to the community faster

<sagenod>

Archived