Connection to Internet Shuts Down After 20 Minutes µTorrent

bobholm

I'm having a major problem (now -- wasn't this way when I installed µTorrent last week) with all Internet connections (not ISP connections, I mean access to Internet -- used to be called "socks" back in BB days) closing down after shorter and shorter times of running µTorrent 1.7.2.

Four days ago, it shut all the socks down after about 350Gb DL & UL (leeching and seeding). By "shut all the socks down" I mean that I am still connected to my ISP, but I can't access ANY URL with any browser even after shutting µTorrent down. Now it's doing it after 20 minutes of running µTorrent, so it's obviously getting worse.

My only workaround has been to log off from my ISP, shut off my ADSL modem for 15 seconds, turn it back on and wait for it to re-establish contact with the network, then log back on to my ISP and restart µTorrent.

Has anybody got any idea how to fix this? Is this unique to µTorrent, or do all torrent clients suffer this problem?

Oh, yes, before you ask: Windows XP Pro SP 2, 512 Mb RAM, 1.8GHz cpu.

Did you ask your ISP support?

I experienced a similar problem when i bought 8mbit adsl connection. When i asked my ISP support i was answered that 8 mbit is probably too much for my old phone line. Than i changed 8 mbit to 1 mbit and everything went fine.

Did you ask your ISP support?

I experienced a similar problem when i bought 8mbit adsl connection. When i asked my ISP support i was answered that 8 mbit is probably too much for my old phone line. Than i changed 8 mbit to 1 mbit and everything went fine.

2005.10.29 response:

I have a 1MB ADSL line, and I've never had the problem until I ran µTorrent. I have just tried one additional thing: I increased my connections to server from 10 to 100:

--%<--

1. Click Start | Run and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to HKEY CURRENT USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings

3. In the right pane, click an empty space and select New and then DWORD value.

4. Name the new value MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

5. Right click the new value and select Modify.

6. Under Base, select Decimal.

7. In the Value data field, type the number of simultaneous connections you want to allow. (I changed the already-existing entry from 10 to 100)

8. Click OK.

9. Repeat steps 3-8, this time creating a value called MaxConnectionsPerServer. (Again, I changed the already-existing entry to 100)

10. Close the Registry Editor.

--%<--

Now we'll see if that helps.

2005.10.30 Addition:

That really didn't help much except to increase the download speed... for 15 minutes until it shut down all the socks again. I reset the values to 20 and 20 instead of 100 and 100 above.

The one piece of advice I never saw when getting into torrents a week ago has to do with how many torrents one should work with at the same time. It turns out that 2 would be a good answer, not 14 as I was doing. (Not really greedy -- just kept seeing something I wanted and added the torrent; I've since found that having the "add torrent stopped" setting checked helps.) Apparently my poor little ADSL modem got all tuckered out and just couldn't do any more.

I have been running µTorrent continuously for nearly 27 hours now, with one torrent leeching and seeding and one torrent just seeding. I put a limit of 100kB/sec on downloads and 28kB/sec on uploads. Works like a charm.

Only question remaining: Why does DUMeter show a DL speed almost exactly TWICE what µTorrent does (while the upload speed is the same as µTorrent's)?

I am experiencing the exact same problem and it is driving me mad. You say:

" The one piece of advice I never saw when getting into torrents a week ago has to do with how many torrents one should work with at the same time. It turns out that 2 would be a good answer, not 14 as I was doing. (Not really greedy -- just kept seeing something I wanted and added the torrent; I've since found that having the "add torrent stopped" setting checked helps.) Apparently my poor little ADSL modem got all tuckered out and just couldn't do any more. "

Are you saying that enabling "add torrent stopped" fixed your problem? But why would that make a difference, since torrents are queued for download?

Any experience on this greatly appreciated!

Ibbb

Guys, what I think you want to look at is "Global maximum number of connections" setting. Routers or modems handle different limits and disruption of internet connectivity is often a sign of that.

Start off with someting conservative (200) and work your way up. Then adjust the "Maximum number of connected peers per torrent" and "Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download)" accordingly.

Getting all the settings in the Torrent Options tab optimized for your particular system requires some tweaking. This FAQ from Azureus has some orientation and can be applied to uTorrent as well. http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Good_settings

Slayers, I don't think global number of connections is the problem in this particular occurrence. I left my uT connection settings at default, which are the conservative values you suggest to begin with. When uTorrent works, it will sometimes hit speeds of well over 200 kB/s, and I have no problem browsing the web, working, etc. It's only a problem when the Internet connection freezes, or all the socks close down as bobholm put it.

I played around with the uT options in an attempt to fix my problem and I THINK I may have succeeded. I'm now going on 16 hours of smooth operation, whereas before the Internet became unusable within 10-60 minutes of starting uTorrent, without fail.

Here's what I did to the options:

Advanced Options:

1. skip slow download *False

2. skip slow upload * False

3. diskio_whatever all diskio options reset to default

Other options:

4. start new torrents in stopped mode (bobholm's suggestion)

5. set global download limit to 280 kB/s (I have 3Mb ADSL)

I also cut down on a few torrents (a lot of partial files because of the skip_slow_downloads) and freed some disk space.

I have a feeling, also from what Bob wrote, that number 4 did the trick.

If you have this problem I suggest trying out the above and posting your results here. I'll post again with an update after a couple days of operation. Hopefully I will have nothing to report!

Slayers, I don't think global number of connections is the problem in this particular occurrence. I left my uT connection settings at default, which are the conservative values you suggest to begin with. When uTorrent works, it will sometimes hit speeds of well over 200 kB/s, and I have no problem browsing the web, working, etc. It's only a problem when the Internet connection freezes, or all the socks close down as bobholm put it.

I played around with the uT options in an attempt to fix my problem and I THINK I may have succeeded. I'm now going on 16 hours of smooth operation, whereas before the Internet became unusable within 10-60 minutes of starting uTorrent, without fail.

Here's what I did to the options:

Advanced Options:

1. skip slow download *False

2. skip slow upload * False

3. diskio_whatever all diskio options reset to default

Other options:

4. start new torrents in stopped mode (bobholm's suggestion)

5. set global download limit to 280 kB/s (I have 3Mb ADSL)

I also cut down on a few torrents (a lot of partial files because of the skip_slow_downloads) and freed some disk space.

I have a feeling, also from what Bob wrote, that number 4 did the trick.

If you have this problem I suggest trying out the above and posting your results here. I'll post again with an update after a couple days of operation. Hopefully I will have nothing to report!

i do not not wats skip slow upload and download...all i have is queue_dun count slow dl and upl ...and my prob seems to lie with ipfiler.dat...anytime when ipfilter.dat filters many ip show in the log..it d/cs my connection...

i do not not wats skip slow upload and download...all i have is queue_dun count slow dl and upl ...and my prob seems to lie with ipfiler.dat...anytime when ipfilter.dat filters many ip show in the log..it d/cs my connection...

Sorry, I am away from my PC, let me rewrite what I said above:

Advanced Options:

1. don't count slow download *False

2. don't count slow upload * False

it's the same options we're talking about but I could not remember them exactly.

Those two are "true" by default, I noticed that they caused some mayhem once the Internet connection started shutting down - uT would skip ahead to the next queued torrents and start downloading/uploading.

I know nothing about ip filtering (default values and I have not imported any lists). Have you tried the other suggestions? In particular new torrents start stopped might help.

I am experiencing the exact same problem and it is driving me mad. You say:

" The one piece of advice I never saw when getting into torrents a week ago has to do with how many torrents one should work with at the same time. It turns out that 2 would be a good answer, not 14 as I was doing. (Not really greedy -- just kept seeing something I wanted and added the torrent; I've since found that having the "add torrent stopped" setting checked helps.) Apparently my poor little ADSL modem got all tuckered out and just couldn't do any more. "

Are you saying that enabling "add torrent stopped" fixed your problem? But why would that make a difference, since torrents are queued for download?

Any experience on this greatly appreciated!

Ibbb

It fixed future problems. I stopped all but one torrent download and one torrent seed, and then set µTorrent to add all future torrents in stop mode. Since then the modem has run 27 hours and now 57 hours without a glitch.

Merged post(s):

bobholm, you do know that those registry keys are for the number of HTTP connections that Internet Explorer will make to a server, right?

No, I didn't know that. How does it matter? I assumed that it was setting the number of peers that µTorrent would connect for all torrents currently leeching and seeding.

i also got this problem though..adding torrent stopped can help u sure???

First, stop all torrents. Then start one torrent leeching (and it will also seed while it is leeching). If you have any already-downloaded torrents whose ratio is not yet 1.00, start one of them seeding. Then in Options, Preferences, set new torrents to load in stopped mode and max torrents to run at one time at 3. It worked for me.

When I have no torrents in the list left to leech, turn three seed torrents on to bring your ratio up to 1. You can set each one to stop seeding at 100%, 125%, etc., by right-clicking on the torrent in the µTorrent top frame list.

EDIT by silverfire: Please do not double-, let alone triple post.

I had the same exact problem as you. The problem was with my firewall. I use Outpost firewall and after an automatic update it somehow screwed up my filter rules for svchost as it couldn't connect to my ISP's dns servers to exchange information, thus cutting my connection down and I had to restart my adsl box.

I re-created the rules and poof, problem was gone. Just in case, check your firewall logs :)

bob have u looked in eventviewer to see if theres any errors occuring.

I'm not bob but I had the same problem and I checked the event log: absolutely no errors to speak of. Just no Internet!

uTorrent has been running now for close to 24 hours after I implemented the fixes described in my previous posts, inspired by bob's message.

Thanks bob. I don't know if it's necessary to stop all torrents and do a gradual restart of the downloads, I didn't have to. I just deleted a few large torrents, stopped a few more, and kept a few downloading and queued.

Merged post(s):

the minute I posted the message above, the very same moment after I submitted my happy report, the problem occurred again.

I saw it happen, the download/upload rate just plummeted over the course of less than a minute.

Event viewer shows nothing.

I shut down uTorrent, disconnected, reconnected, started it up again and it works - for now. sigh.

EDIT by silverfire: Please do not double post.

Do you happen to use ipfilter?

hi vurlix... the problem first occur when i was running quite afew torrent files concurrently (>5 but less than 8 i forgot how much)

i downloaded an ipfilter file from a website that everyone recommended (forgot which also). Then i restarted utorrent and run ipfilter. this is when i started on having the d/c mentioned. Hence I was pretty sure it was ipfilter becos subsequently i deactivated and activated it to play with it and found that i d/c when ipfilter is on. Hope I can help here...thank you.

bob have u looked in eventviewer to see if theres any errors occuring.

No. Can't find "event viewer" on any menu. Where is it? I haven't seen any error messages at all.

Merged post(s):

I'm not bob but I had the same problem and I checked the event log: absolutely no errors to speak of. Just no Internet!

uTorrent has been running now for close to 24 hours after I implemented the fixes described in my previous posts, inspired by bob's message.

Thanks bob. I don't know if it's necessary to stop all torrents and do a gradual restart of the downloads, I didn't have to. I just deleted a few large torrents, stopped a few more, and kept a few downloading and queued.

I just found it easier to do one thing at a time, and I wanted to see what would happen as I started each torrent. With Windows, you just never know when a hydrogen bomb is going to go off. I am therefore cautious and plodding when it comes to experimentation.

EDIT by silverfire: Please do not double post.

I have a similar problem: sometimes webpages time out when uTorrent is running. Once it happened, the WWW practically dies for good, but uT is still running strong. WWW access is back to normal, as soon as I shut down uT and wait a few seconds.

I found that it often happens when I hop on busy torrents with lots of leechers/seeders. So I reduced the # of connections to 150, which seemed to have helped a bit, but it still happens sometimes.

Oddly, the other computers on our network (connected via the same router) are not affected. So it must be a problem that's localised to the machine uT is running on. This kinda contradicts the theory that the concurrent connections are at fault, doesn't it?

And i'm not using any IP-Filter either, so that can't be it.

Any ideas what else I could tweak? I like busy torrents :(

I went over to Speedguide.net with this problem, and after the guys there helped me out, my uTorrent has been running non-stop for 3 days, without me putting limits on my speeds, and I can still browse the net and get my email (although it's a little slow, but what do you expect) and my roommate can still use her pc that goes through my router.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=643301 gives instructions on what info to give when asking for help so they can help ya out a little better.

I suggest using the Cablenut program available through one of the links there, but make sure you ask for the proper values. I had someone try to help me before i asked there, and it messed me up for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived