uTorrent disables my network

negentropy

I have several machines running XP, linked by bridged NICs. Everything works wonderfully, I do not need a router, and all the other Bittorrent clients work fine.

However if uTorrent is running on one of my machines, none of the others can access the internet - all of my bandwidth disappears, even tho utorrent shouldn't be using a tiny fraction of it. As i said, I DO NOT HAVE OR NEED A ROUTER. There is nothing at all wrong with my system or firewall settings. The problem is definitely uTorrent, as all the other torrent clients work fine without disabling the network.

I would like to use utorrent as it seems otherwise well made, but this error has persisted for several versions and means the program is all but unusable on a network.

Regards

S

Not at all!

DHT is marginally helpful for torrents with few seeds/peers found by the tracker, and useless and even harmful on many other torrents due to the bandwidth costs of it running.

UPnP is both unneccessary and harmful if you manually port-forwarded the 1 port µTorrent needs on your router.

...actually, it's not really any better - must've been temporarily better for some other reason. I have uTorrent working now and can no longer surf properly on any of the machines... time outs left right and centre.

One thing i couldn't find in the above advice was the "half open connection" setting... where's that then?

Archived