Seeds/peers ratio

Gary King

@Gary King. Azureus also has a graphic representation of the swarm so you can watch for hours and kill yourself to boredom. That doesn't mean uTorrent needs one too, does it?

uTorrent shows the number of seeds and leechers, that's all you need to know. I don't need 1,000 different ways to understand the same thing. It clutters the interface, it steepens the learning curve, it confuses noobs.

@Dominic. That is something different entirely. And you wouldn't need to see the ratio itself as long as you knew the ultimate priortity given.

Not only is a seperate column for seed/peer ratio useless, it is also redundant.

You can already see your seed/peer ratio.

Keep your seed column next to your peer column, with seeds on the left side, and there you have your ratio.

So if a torrent shows 6(9) seeds and 27(44) peers, you have your two ratios right there.

a 6:27 ratio for active connections, and an 9:44 ratio for what is available.

BTW... this suggestion, bar none, is the most useless one I've seen posted yet.

-- Smoovious

[edited to change an unwanted smiley error]

By your logic, Smoovius, there shouldn't be a Ratio column because that is also redundant. Put the Downloaded column next to the Uploaded column, that is your ratio. :rolleyes: And if you think this is the most useless request, then you haven't read the rest of the forum.

uTorrent already has the numbers available to it, adding a column that makes it easier to quickly glance at the seed/peer ratio is just a simple matter. Is it really that difficult to add 1 more calculation to the updateGUI function?

Slayers, maybe YOU don't need to see the column. If that's the case, DON'T SHOW THE COLUMN. But some other people would like to see it, but because you don't need it, it's a useless column? :rolleyes:

That's the beauty of uTorrent. You can show as many or as few columns as you see fit. Clutters the interface? Not if you don't show it. One more column will confuse newbies who want to use uTorrent?!?! Wow, that makes no sense. If the column was never defaulted to be on, then how can it confuse a newbie? Learning curve? What learning curve? Turn this column on, turn this column off, bam! Lesson's done. Class dismissed.

Would it matter what the seed:peer ratio was?

Would anyone change their upload limit according to this value?

I regularly set upload limits if my upload:download ratio is low, but if the seed:peer ratio was 200:1 or 1:200, I would change the settings. These are changed automatically since the speed is much lower if this ratio would be 1:200.

But why not an uploadspeed:downloadspeed ratio too? That would make just as much sense.

Slayers, maybe YOU don't need to see the column. If that's the case, DON'T SHOW THE COLUMN. But some other people would like to see it, but because you don't need it, it's a useless column? :rolleyes:

Did I say useless? Because I thought I said "It clutters the interface, it steepens the learning curve, it confuses noobs." And I stand by that reasoning everytime a redundant or rarely used stat or feature is added.

"Keep it simple stupid" is a concept that works. Why do you need that info, what are you going to do with it? Unless it's actionable information there is no point other than to satisfy your controling ego.

That's the beauty of uTorrent. You can show as many or as few columns as you see fit. Clutters the interface? Not if you don't show it. One more column will confuse newbies who want to use uTorrent?!?! Wow, that makes no sense. If the column was never defaulted to be on, then how can it confuse a newbie? Learning curve? What learning curve? Turn this column on, turn this column off, bam! Lesson's done. Class dismissed.

I think the beauty of uTorrent is somewhere else, but never mind. Let me try to argue by exageration. Let's add 100 more optional columns. Each has a different ratio about any two numbers in the panel. How long would it take you to figure out what each one meant? And how long before you figured out if you needed it or not? And where the hell is the ETA column I accidently turned off...

I'm all for stats that let you manage your torrents. I don't think this is one of them.

If the feature to seed based on seed/peer ratio is implemented, then there is really no reason to not show this information. One could even argue that it is even more critical to show in the program's current state so users can manually force seeding of high peer ratio torrents.

Did I say useless? Because I thought I said "It clutters the interface, it steepens the learning curve, it confuses noobs."

Well, you inferred it. By saying

uTorrent shows the number of seeds and leechers, that's all you need to know. I don't need 1,000 different ways to understand the same thing.

you are basically saying that it's useless to have the column.

I think the beauty of uTorrent is somewhere else, but never mind. Let me try to argue by exageration. Let's add 100 more optional columns. Each has a different ratio about any two numbers in the panel. How long would it take you to figure out what each one meant? And how long before you figured out if you needed it or not? And where the hell is the ETA column I accidently turned off...

Well, I'd hope that we wouldn't have 100 more columns, but who cares? Why would you take the time to figure out what each column did if the columns that are already showing give you all the information you need? When I try a new program, I don't take the time to test out each option, each checkbox, each parameter because I don't care about that. If it works for me, with the options that I've chosen, then that's all I care about.

As far as Dominic's suggestion as to why he'd feel this column was good, why would you not want to see the ratio? You'd rather a program just automatically prioritized something based on something you can't see? What if you forgot that you prioritzed it based on seed/peer ratio. Now, uTorrent is behaving in a manner that doesn't seem quite right, so you'd call it a bug, only to be told that it's not, it's based on a ratio that you can't see, but that you said should be used.

Well, you inferred it. By saying
uTorrent shows the number of seeds and leechers, that's all you need to know. I don't need 1,000 different ways to understand the same thing.

you are basically saying that it's useless to have the column.

I'm basically saying it's redundant ;) But let's not get into semantics, right?

Well, I'd hope that we wouldn't have 100 more columns, but who cares? Why would you take the time to figure out what each column did if the columns that are already showing give you all the information you need? When I try a new program, I don't take the time to test out each option, each checkbox, each parameter because I don't care about that. If it works for me, with the options that I've chosen, then that's all I care about.

Take a look at the troubleshooting section and guess what you have to do when things aren't working... Oh yeah, dig into the settings and figure out "each option, each checkbox, each parameter" and let's not forget, each stat.

But enough trying to make my point clear. You haven't even hinted as to why this stat is useful. How are you going to use it to better manage your torrents? That's all I want to know.

Who said I was going to use it? I couldn't care less about this column, I was just fighting for the underdog. ;)

But anyways, Jigpu stated that he'd use this concept to help prioritize the torrents with fewer seeders, so the seed/peer ratio would make a 5/20 torrent a higher priority than a 5/10 torrent. Same concept on a 5/20 torrent and a 100/30 torrent.

Why would that be a bad thing?

• 2 months later...

I recently moved from Azureus to µTorrent, and the seed/peer ratio column is the only feature I miss. It is extremely useful to order torrents according to this ratio, as this is what determines each torrent's relative need for my seeding. Of course you mentally can devide the seeds by the peers, but the point is to allow the torrents to be reordered based on this calculation. For those of us who care about seeding where it is needed most, this column would be invaluable.

As somebody who switched to uTorrent from Azureus last night this is the feature which I miss most.

I have about 100 potentially active torrents in my list and having this would make it easier for me to see who/how to prioritize to as most of my ratios are now 0.

Lee

I have about 100 potentially active torrents in my list

How can you possibly upload even 1 KB/sec to a fraction of them all? 1+ megabit upload connection?

Exactly, that's my point. I said potentially.

So I want an easy way to see what torrents to stop seeding and those to keep going.

Lee

Archived