whats the antivirus u r using with utorrent right now?

alexandergre

I go against the norm here and run Symantec Corporate.

It doesn't slow my system except during the boot scanning.

It's house file server so booting is something considered every few weeks at most.

By the end of January, my daily driver will likely be a MAC with X and XP.

An AV client I've been very impressed with is Avast!. It's free for home use, automatically updates by itself almost every day, and doesn't but you about it, it just says "The virus database has been updated." in it's cool little voice and goes away, no user interaction required. Also, its not pissy like Norton or Stymantec is and when it stops something, you get a little yellow message for about 10 seconds that disappears, not a huge alert that screws up whatever else you were doing.

---------------------------------

Most AV on stopping an attack: HEY HEY, LOOK AT ME, LOOKY WHAT I DID, AREN'T I COOL!?!? PLEASE CLICK THE BUTTON AND ACKNOWLEDGE ME. I PUT MYSELF FLASHING AND ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE JUST TO TELL YOU WHAT I DID, DOESN'T THAT MAKE ME SPECIAL? WEEEEE!!!

Avast! on stopping most attacks (ones that don't require a decision): Hey boss, I just beat the crap out of an intruder. Just thought you might wanna know. See ya'

CPU/RAM: About 15 MB across all process trees (relatively small compared to most AV)

Slowing down µtorrent: Not at all, only during the 30 second virus database update, but it quickly passes.

Slowing down your system: Same as above, but also look at the VRDB (Virus Recovery DataBase) options, it generates a VRDB when you tell it to (Screensaver/idle/now/never)

Archived