Internet connection drops when using utorrent

silverwolf0

I have tried several new bt clients, including utorrent, and after about 10-20 minutes of torrenting, my internet connection drops completely. I am using a belkin wireless G router connected to an old speedstream dsl modem with at&t yahoo dsl and the computer I use to torrent is connected via a cat 5 cable since whenever I use wireless, the router craps out. All other computers use the wireless part as all they do is surf the internet.

I have used bitcomet 0.58 and it gives me no problems and is the only one that is stable. I have tried all newer versions of bitcomet up to 0.80 and they all mimic what I described above. I am interested in utorrent right now because of its resource efficiency but I am at a lost as to how to make it work without shutting my router down.

Could this issue be due to the global max connections? The old bitcomet I used had it set to Auto, which I have no idea what that means. The router never craps out with it and I can achieve some decent download rates, sometimes 200KB/s +, with my 3.0mbps dsl. So what makes the old bitcomet so special?

I have tried 200 and all the way down to 80 right now in utorrent for global max connections and am hoping this may be the problem.

Someone please advise. Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have actually looked at my active peers now in bitcomet. Most of my torrents have something like 6/60 seed/peer connected but when I look at the peer info, it shows only a handful of them are actually uploading to me and only three or four that have uploads that aren't 0kB/s. The rest are connected but not doing anything. Is this normal for bittorrent? Or does it show my belkin router's limit and that the old bitcomet is not showing the right numbers?

Archived