uTorrent Watchdog

FFirenze

I have some troubles with uTorrent, like several crashes. I left my computer downloading all the day, but when y check it, the uTorrent process was crashed and no dowloads was made. I think develop a watchdog to restart the uTorrent process if it not responds. ¿It´s possible add some messages to know this status?

PD: Maybe i could debug the process and restart it on fatal exception.

Thanks and excuse my English!

There's probably a reason why it crashes, and if you can determine that you can probably reduce or eliminate the crashes.

Firstly, really excessive values can cause all kinds of crash disasters.

Secondly, have you checked for incompatible software as listed by the FAQ?

Thirdly, do you have a D-Link or Belkin router?

...or Motorola Surfboard cablemodem?

Ok!... i have some dmp files on uTorrent path... ¿I should be send it to somewhere? ¿Where?

I´m still thinking in a watchdog, to avoid the connection dedtime

pd: I checked for incompatible software, it´s ok! and i have a WebSTAR cablemodemodem connected via ethernet

(Winxp64 without antivirus or firewall)

TIA!

i dont think there's anyone u can send it to at that point..

u could've sent it to ludde, but he's not involved in the development process anymore.. dunno how safe is it to send it to the new developers as the crash dump contains sensitive information that u may not wanna share with them..

No offense was assumed or intended.

As for the watchdog idea, try googling for "crash guard", "restart crashed program", or (of course) "watchdog". You should find various types of external programs that can do what you are looking for. And since they are specifically designed for the job, they probably do it better. However I don't have any specfic program to help as I've never used them myself.

Also the reason zzap recommended you reformat and reinstall you windows operating system was due to the fact that uTorrent uses a lot of internal OS components (which is one of the reasons it can be so small). If a windows (Microsoft) component is causing the crash, then it is the OS that is causing the problem and not uTorrent (maybe a corrupted component or driver). If there was other software installed (and even uninstalled software might have left pieces of itself behind) it could have caused instabilities that are causing the crash but not be related to uTorrent. A clean install should fix the problems you're having. Of course if the problem is hardware related (memory, hard drive, controller, motherboard, etc. going bad) the fix may require more extreme measures.

Archived