National IP Range blocker

JLDR

I there and thanks for this "little big" instruments that's uTorrent.

I've a suggestion to make. I'm from Portugal and my internet provider do not allow me to do more than 4 GB of downloads from international connections.

My suggestion goes like that: have the possibility to select one option that make possible to block the seeds em leechers that do not correspond to a list of IP Ranges. In this case, people like me could download only from national IP clients.

The list of IP Ranges can be created like de ipfilter.dat thar you use to block dangerous IPs.

Thanks

If you already know how to use ipfilter.dat, then why don't you just find a list of all Portuguese IP addresses and block any IPs that aren't in that list? You can't really know which IP belongs to which country unless you trace each IP using some kind of online service (more resource consuming, especially for the servers providing the service).

Just my thoughts =]

I'm from Portugal and my internet provider do not allow me to do more than 4 GB of downloads from international connections.

Wow. A nationwide "intranet". ;)

A sort of, yes... :D

Here in Portugal we have nacional and internacional trafic limits... seems stupid but is the true...

What UTorrent does is block the dangerous IPs (all those writen in the ipfilter.dat file), correct?

Well, my sugestion is like de opposite: allow downloads only from certain IP ranges. Every seeds or leechers with an IP other than the ones allowed would not by considered.

The file with the IP ranges I can get it from Azures, for example. Someone in my country has done the job!...

Sorry my english guys...

I have no problem understanding your English =]

µTorrent doesn't block only dangerous IPs, but any IP specified in the ipfilter.dat, whether it be dangerous, or just an IP you don't want to connect to. In this case, since you wouldn't want to connect to international peers, you can block any IP that isn't in Portugal. Now how you would go about finding this out in the first place... well, I don't know =P (I think I recall some people linking to a file that shows which IPs belong to which country, but it's several megabytes large -- WOW!)

Well, BTuga is one of the most recognized tracker in Portugal and has adopted Azureus 2.2.0.2 because there's the possibility to especify de range of IPs that are acepted by the program; the others are simply banned.

I know this is what almost of the BTuga membros do - using the IP limiter of ranges because we have limitations regarding internacional transfers from the net.

I've unlimited trafic to do with Portugal IP ranges. But I only have 4 GB of trafic to do with non portugues IPs - including de trafic spend with simple net navegation, obviously. Well, Azureus have the option to use de limiter of ranges or not... This could be implemented in a future version of uTorrent.

If that occurs, Azureus will lost his power between us and uTorrent can become a possibility. And let me remind you that one of the most horrible things that Azureus have is the resource consuming in our PCs... Well, nothing compared with uTorrent masterpiece!!!!

:lol:

copy the code into notepad and save as ipfilter.dat:

000.000.000.000 - 010.255.255.255 , 100 , The world part 1
011.000.000.000 - 222.222.222.222 , 200 , Portugal
222.222.222.223 - 255.255.255.255 , 100 , The world part 2

this of course assumes the ip ange for portugal is 011.000.000.000 - 222.222.222.222 , which it isnt, so if someone can give me the portugal ip range i can fix this for teh noobs.

Well, we have here in Portugal some eMule Mods that uses one ipranges.dat file. As a result of that, only the IP connections relative to Portugal are permited. Of course there are some guys doing the hard stuff; collecting possible IP ranges from Portugal Internet Providers.

i dont know how utorrent specifically works out flags but it will either be by DNS or whois (almost certainly DNS).

There is no database publically available thats a definative list of ip to country.

There are alot of databases that claim to be definative but all they are is reverse egineering using DNS and.or whois along with helpful user submissions (although they in general very accurate)

Come to think of it there is an free ip-to-country dbase kicking about thats quite slick. I suppose utorrent could use that as it quite small.

But at the end of the day if you are doing this you need to find a maintained source of data otherwise it will go out of date rapidly.

Hope this helps.

That "national range ips" is actually called "peering". This is a network of ISPs that have an agreement of not to charge the traffic between them (usually they have direct connection all-to-all). It is a common practice in the smaller countries to have 1 national peering and have lower costs for the end users for such "local" traffic. This confuses the users and they thought as if it is "all the traffic in the country or traffic from all National IPs", actually there are many ISP that do not connect to the others (not in the peering) or charge the traffic and even often have really slow connection between them. This way saying block ALL INTERNATIONAL IPS is on theory possible, but this could be useless because you would not be sure that some "national ip" wont charge international traffic.

Or saying simple:

Lets say A,B,C and D are all ISPs from the same country.

A,B,C and D have direct connection all-to-all

and E is connected to C only (for simpler graph) is a international ISP.

A-B

|X||

C=D

||

E

D is a "renegade" and charge traffic to C and B, but it have aggrement with A for a free traffic.

*If you are user of A than "all the national traffic" would be free.

*If you are user of B or C - the traffic in the peering A-B-C would be free but, traffic to D will be charged and would usually cost same as a international. It often happens for the ISP to say that the national traffic is free, despite there are few providers that do not count.

*If you are user of D you (may be) have free traffic to A only.

To make all torrent traffic free. You would better use a local tracker, rather than filter all IPs. This way the tracker does the job to not allow external IPs that make the users pay $$$. All of the national peerings have such trackers.

• 3 months later...

From the 'IP-to-Country' list available here: http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info/node/view/6 - it's pretty easy to block a complete country.

I use EditPlus (as my preferred notepad replacement). Let me know if you want that too... but anyway:

If you open the csv file in EditPlus and search for the name of country you want to block out. Note that it's written in english. When found, select all lines above this one (not included) and delete them.

Go to the tools menu and choose Sort. As starting column type: 27 which will be right before the country letters. When done you've got a list that's sorted by country. From there simply search for the name and delete everything above and beneath where it's listed. Be sure NOT to included any lines containing the to-be-blocked country.

Next step is to convert the list to something 'useful' as in ipfilter.dat format or something else. I prefer Blocklist Converter for that: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/converter/index.php (remember to choose 'ip-to-country.csv' as source format).

If you want to process several lists including the one from above, use either Blocklist Manager or TinyBLM. I personally prefer TinyBLM because it's so much faster and easier to use. Anyway - make your choice:

Blocklist Manager: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

TinyBLM2: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=9493

• 10 months later...

I dicovered that the raw padded emule pipfilter.dat.gz [uncompressed and renamed to ipfilter.dat] works through utorrent 1.6.

I added some of my own padded IPs to see how utorrent would react, and it blcoked them correctly.

PG2 is nice but I only want to block IPs in utorrent.

Thanx,

F.

I'm from Moscow (Russia) and we also have such peering groups... but they are formed by ISPs, who use ethernet... so these peering groups work almost as fast as LAN

so it would be great to have the ability to disable upload limits to a certain IP ranges.. because these peering connections are not limited by your internet connection speed

• 3 months later...

Archived