Red exclamation point mystery =/

Mentis

Okay, so I've been battling with bittorrent for a long time, and I just can't fix this problem...I'm getting that red NAT/router whatever error. I followed every tutorial here diligently, and I'm pretty sure I succeeded. Here's what I got:

I have Windows XP SP2, my router is Linksys RTP300. For my firewall, I unblocked both utorrent itself AND the specific port that I'm using. That is, I made them an exception in the firewall. I also followed the excellent portforward.com tutorials for my router. I created a static IP address, which I'm sure I did correctly as my internet still works =P, and it shows up correctly in command prompt too. Also, I forwarded the ports correctly by using the guide. It's incredibly simple, and I don't see how I could have done something wrong, especially since the guide made it picturesque. So, I forwarded the specific port that is listed in speed guide. Here's the weird thing though...When I press "test if port is forwarded properly" it shows me that the port does not appear to be open. However, when it says in bold "Checking port xxxxxx on xx.xx.xx.xx", the IP address shown is COMPLETELY different from the static IP I set. How is this possible? That means that somehow, even though I set a static IP, my computer is using some different one that I don't know about. It doesn't show up anywhere in my router status page OR in ipconfig. It makes no sense. Also, to make sure it wasn't just utorrent, I checked some other ipcheckers on google, and they all give me that same, seemingly obscure ip address. First of all, just out of curiosity, where did this IP come from if I have a static one set? I'm so confused ~_~. Anyway, I hope this is enough detail. If anyone knows what the hell is going on, please let me know! I'd love to get my average download speed above 10kb/s.

The websites are checking your internet ip that your cable/dsl modem is on, not your static LAN ip on your computer. If your router is port forwarding correctly, then even though these websites are checking your internet ip...your computer should still receive the requests and reply back.

However, is there a mini-router or firewall in your cable/dsl modem as well that needs to be configured?

Look up info on your cable/dsl modem by going to their website.

Use GOOGLE if you have to. :D

Oh, I didn't know my static IP was different from the modem one. Well anyway, my cable modem is the Motorola SURFboard SB4200. I checked the site, and it doesn't seem to say anything about firewalls, and it definitely doesn't have a minirouter cause it says I need a switch or router if I want to connect additional computers. Also, I have cable and my ISP is optonline if that matters. Any other ideas out there?

Edit - I know it can't be any firewall or antivirus software on my computer because I turned everything off, and the port test still showed it as closed.

Edit -- Ok...so I was reading the utorrent user manual and stumbled across the section devoted to my cable modem. Apparently, I'm effin screwed unless I get a new modem.

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1139203595

Well...unless someone knows how to fix this surfboard problem, I guess that's it. =/

Well, I don't think my router has SPI, I checked all around the status page. I guess I'll just throw some ideas out there based on what the router status page has on it. Under "advanced routing" tab in setup, it says I can enable/disable NAT/firewall of the router. It's enabled right now, so I guess I can try disabling it, but I'm kind of afraid to do it without asking if I should. It asks me to restart my computer if I do it and stuff. I just remember I fiddled with this stuff before, and I've broken my router. It's not a fun ordeal, nor cheap. But when it broke before, it was when I was doing dmz host stuff...maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened because I don't see what dmz has to do with a router's integrity, but maybe it was because I just left my computer exposed when I dmzed it. I didn't know how open dmz leaves your computer at the time. Ok so that's one idea...It also has something called 'static routing' which I have no idea about. There's also an 'access restriction page', and at the bottom it lets me disable the option 'block anonymous internet requests' which is currently enabled. Another thing is the port triggering page, which is right next to port forwarding, but I don't know what it does.

If none of this works, I can probably try just show a screenshot of every page of my router status page, which is only like 10 or so. Anyhow, I really do think it's the surfboard problem, because my Internet IP address is identical to my default gateway, which is supposedly a problem. My internet IP isn't supposed to start with 192.168 right? Because my WAN ip is different from LAN ip. Ok well, that's it I guess. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it. Keep in mind if you fix my problem, you may fix the problems of many others, so you can like add it to an FAQ so people don't ask. ^_~

Archived