port does not stay open

deepblue99

I have a bit of a unique problem. I have set up port forwarding and when I open utorrent and use speed guide many times it shows the port is open and accepting connections. Sometimes when I see my speeds are slowing, I run speed guide again and it shows the port closed. If I go into the router confiruration and either reboot it, or disable and re-enable the forwarding rule then run speed guide the port will show open again. Running just one torrent or many has no effect on this. Also, I have heard all kinds of horror stories about router to router setups, so just so you know I have a speedstream 4200 modem/router hooked to a d-link 1310 wbr. In order for me to get ANY forwarding to work, I had to set a forwarding rule in the speedstream that points to the address of the d-link. In the d-link the forwarding rule points to my static address that I set up in tcp/ip and per the instructions from portforwarding.com. Lastly, I have also seen the port close when for example I stop a torrent. I have been looking at alot of things but have not really found a pattern yet of what causes the port to close. I only have the wireless router attached for so I can have a home network, I have been told that maybe a better approach would be to just use a wireless access point for that or set up an ad-hoc wireless network through Windows, but I had the wireless router laying around so I have been trying to use it. This is my first post and I tried to cover most everything, so please be gentle and thank you in advance. Have a great day!

If you can, give the computer that's running µTorrent a wired connection. Wireless connections, for whatever the reasons, seem to not handle/like having 100+ ip-to-ip connections at once even at <100 KB/sec speeds.

An overloaded connection can resemble a firewalled connection because the firewall check either never reaches it or its reply never makes it back out. Have you run speed tests on your line both up and down? Have you used µTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) to choose the settings that closest fit your UPLOAD speed?

The computer that is running utorrent is wired, I do not run utorrent on the attached wireless machines. Also it has no effect whether the machines connected wireless are on of off, it happens both ways. And yes I have ran tests from speedtest.net and get good speeds (avg 2500 down, 300-500 up). I use the selected settings in speedguide.

Archived