UI slows down when having 7+ torrents active

karnokd

I have a P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM, WinXP SP2, 100MBit computer and I noticed that when having more than 7 active torrents the user interface significantly slows down. Each click takes 2-5 seconds and the download list update rate seems to freeze for 2-5 seconds. Switching to the uTorrent window also takes more time. This happens independently of the current download/upload speed (same for 20KB/s and for 2MB/s). The HD seems not to be overloaded.

Fortunately, it looks like that the data transfer is not affected.

(I used to have Azureus before uTorrent and it was able to manage 25 simultaneous downloads without interface slowdown, the reason for the change was that it was too slow in network traffic)

Is there any option I should adjust?

No. My max upload speed is set to 100MBit/s too, but the average is about 1MB/s.

Upload limit: 11200kb/s

Max upload threads: 10

Max download threads: 100

Max global threads: 500

Max active torrents: 25

Max active downloads: 25

My TCPIP.sys is the original, whit 10 Connections/s

Where can I find the net.max_halfopen settings?

net.max_halfopen = 8

I'm on a high speed academic network with the bone speed of 2,5 GBit/s where the office LAN is 100MBit. I usually achieve 5MB/s download and 3 MB/s upload. On simple HTTP download this can be 10MB/s. Network brandwidth is not a problem.

The TCPIP.sys limit is for starting connections per second. The slowdown occurs when all connections are established too.

Regardless, with a connection like yours, the TCPIP.sys limit can start to become a bottleneck. Increasing the limit to 50 and the net.max_halfopen limit to maybe... 35 might not be as useless as you might think. I've seen slowdowns/crashes in µTorrent due to the stupid limit before, and that's the only reason I bother suggesting this.

I think I found the cause: Since I uninstalled my VirusBuster2006 antivirus program (because it slowed down my computer in general) the UI slowdown disappeared.

I think the uTorrent always opens and closes the files which are up/down loaded during the process, which forced the antivirus program (which activates on file close event) to re-scan the files - therefore slowing down the UI thread as well?

Archived