status of DHT feature?

twizttid13

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason DHT implementation is going slowly is that it is not documented in any way. Even the source code in the mainline client is cryptic at best, and contains no comments. We went as far as reverse engineering the protocol through packet sniffing to find out exactly what was going on under the hood and used the python source to confirm our findings. I think we made a substantial amount of progress today, and I believe it will be usable soon. Most likely before 1.2 comes.

I had to bring BitComet back out today for unicode :P

utorrent releases pretty quickly, really (once a week or so). If the next release takes a few weeks, I wouldn't worry ;)

I had to hunt down the comet today to download... Umm... A file that was failing trackers with UTorrent... DHT smoked it. I really can't wait for UT to have it... I did notice how bad a leecher client Comet was tho... Like, I had a .2 ratio after I was done. Even with the same Upload cap on UT I have like a .4~.5 ratio...

Altho I hit speeds of ~160kb/s AVERAGE... If I ever feel like leechin... :rolleyes:;)

I had to bring BitComet back out today for unicode :P

utorrent releases pretty quickly, really (once a week or so). If the next release takes a few weeks, I wouldn't worry ;)

I had to hunt down the comet today to download... Umm... A file that was failing trackers with UTorrent... DHT smoked it. I really can't wait for UT to have it... I did notice how bad a leecher client Comet was tho... Like, I had a .2 ratio after I was done. Even with the same Upload cap on UT I have like a .4~.5 ratio...

Altho I hit speeds of ~160kb/s AVERAGE... If I ever feel like leechin... :rolleyes:;)

yep.....that's the Comet. At its -best- :P
The reason DHT implementation is going slowly is that it is not documented in any way. Even the source code in the mainline client is cryptic at best, and contains no comments. We went as far as reverse engineering the protocol through packet sniffing to find out exactly what was going on under the hood and used the python source to confirm our findings. I think we made a substantial amount of progress today, and I believe it will be usable soon. Most likely before 1.2 comes.
Hooray! :D

Well given that the tracker was down and you where relying on dht then I think it's an unfair call to make wrt bitcomet. Lets deal in reality of the situation. Without a tracker you are going to get alot of peolpe not being able to get to you. People who switched to utorrent for example where stuffed in this situation and given we are told of the mass switch then I'd say that had a huge impact. Also factor in clients that don't do dht and the fact that you have 2 different incompatible dht implementation then I think that's enough circumstance to explain the difference in ratio.

I use utorrent but to quite honest there isn't much between the two except for the scheduler in utorrent. I care less for size and bitcomet was never a resource hog to begin with. I'm not anal whether a client uses 5M or 10M like some people are.

I'm waiting for dht and then going to choose one. I've learnt in life it's better not to have favourites and evaluate things purely on performance.

I keep hearing this bitcomet propoganda and it may be dangerous for me to say this in a utorrent forum but if you look at it really both clients are nearly identical with the comet winning because of dht atm. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either.

Oddly, this was the one feature that was keeping me from using µTorrent. I went ahead and made the switch and I haven't missed DHT yet.

Ironically, shortly after posting this I stumbled across long lost episodes of a TV show I loved as a teenager. They were tracked on Piratebay, and anyone who has used the bay in the past month knows that their tracker has been as responsive to requests as the Bush administration was to hurricane Katrina. Needless to say, out of the 3 torrents, with µTorrent I was able to see 1 seed on one and 2-3 peers on the other two which had an availablity of around 40%. After a few hours, I load up Azureus. DHT goes to work and grabs an extra 1-2 seeds and peers for each torrent. I now have my files. :)

This made me think about DHT. I look at Azureus' DHT (by far the most popular client by my observations) and there are almost 700,000 on the network right now. How many are on the Mainline/BitComet network? I don't know if anything has changed, but Mainline only uses DHT if the torrent was specifically made for DHT. It doesn't "fallback" on DHT if the tracker is down. I can only assume that BitComet is like Azureus and either uses DHT as a fallback or always publishes to the DHT. The questions how reliable the Mainline DHT is compared to Azureus.

Another feature Azureus has and I believe a few other clients may have, is peer exchange. Basically this means peers send other peers a list of who they are connected to. Even in the worst case scenario, which means being connected to peers that do not support peer exchange, an Azureus client will send you a list of all the locally initiated peers. I haven't seen this mentioned in any µTorrent docs, so I assume it is not implemented. I believe this feature boosts performance and keeps torrents alive far more than DHT.

I'd like to take the oppritunity and thank ludde and vurlix especially for this feature even when i say that i have never used nor needed DHT, and probably won't in the future. But keeping the hard work and even reverse rengineering a completely unknown protocol solely because its a very wanted and perheps even needed feature, Is remarkable work. Just a little comperison, BitTornado's author decided to wait until documantation is released by bram cohenanyone working on the mainline client before including DHT in it.

It's great to see the work being put into DHT. Since I switched to uTorrent there're a number of files I can't access like I did previously with Azureus. I don't miss Azureus's memory hogging and bandwidth choking at all, so the only thing lacking for uTorrent is the ability to deal with trackers that are down a lot like [removed tracker reference]

Yes, i agree with ChaosBlade thanks to both Ludde and Vurlix once DHT is added i believe the Utorrent Userbase will double as all those Azerues users on window systems will switch and as soon as the Linux/Mac version is out im pretty sure the rest of the BT community will switch also. I believ DHT is a neccessity and im glad the two coders are working hard and diligently to try and get it in, and i just cant wait.

Yes, i agree with ChaosBlade thanks to both Ludde and Vurlix once DHT is added i believe the Utorrent Userbase will double as all those Azerues users on window systems will switch and as soon as the Linux/Mac version is out im pretty sure the rest of the BT community will switch also. I believ DHT is a neccessity and im glad the two coders are working hard and diligently to try and get it in, and i just cant wait.

Yup, it will probably make most Azureus, BitComet, BitTornado, Mainline etc. users switch to µTorrent...:D

Archived