status of DHT feature?

twizttid13

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, even if that were the case, it doesn't make a difference. Azureus DHT is advantageous mostly because of the sheer number of Azureus users in the first place that add up to the 700,000 users on the network. If they were to implement the mainline DHT, then everyone using mainline DHT would still be able to connect to this wealth of peers.

It seems that the implementation is pretty difficult (i.e. no documentation, reverse engineering, etc). It seems that it could take a lot of time for the devs to get BOTH versions of DHT working. I think it would be best if Azureus would just start using the mainline version and everything would be fine.

The Azureus implementation is a lot more flexible, has more users, and in my experience has much less overhead bandwidth than the mainline's. I'm sure they perform similarly well for torrents tracking, however, buy I do wish that the Az DHT had been implemented before the mainline one.

How is it more flexible and are you sure it has less overhead? I think some tests in terms of efficiency are in order. If Azureus implements the mainline DHT standard (obviously for compatibility reasons) then I don't really see why uTorrent should implement Azureus's DHT if it's the same or worse than the mainline implementation. If on the other hand Azureus's is more efficient in some way I think it might be worth using Azureus's version at least till the mainline somehow improves. From what I gather though, the Azureus implementation doesn't have much documentation either.

@bkman: If I'm not mistaken, Azureus did implement DHT before the mainline client (Bram subsequently released his version in the same month, IIRC)

Yep, that is true, but I meant that I wish it were being implemented in utorrent before the mainline one.

Even if azureus implements mainline dht it doesn't mean that they won'tl try to negotiate their own first and if that fails fall back to mainline with incompatible clients. Sounds fine but if they develop and expand their own dht implementation to be far superior we are going to miss out and I for one have more faith in their drive to get this protocol working as we users want than the mainline guys. It's the way I'd develop if I was on azureus in order to build differentiation and attract more users and it's been done many times before even in commerical protocols. It's all speculation on my behalf but I hope everyone can see that just because they implement mainline dht doesn't mean that feature parity wrt dht will be maintianed between mainline and their own.

good to hear that DHT is coming along so well. If we can get an implementation (AZ or mainline) soon, we'd have a brilliant torrent app!

But for me, i'm not switching back till 1.1.8 fixes the key issue. I can't connect to any of my trackers without it! (Basically making utorrent do nothing), and I don't want to manually add it every time. BitTornado seems to be going very smoothly at faster speeds than utorrent, but the lack of DHT is annoying.

Come on guys! roll out 1.1.8 and good luck on DHT!

Archived