Low speed with single torrent, good speed with many torrents up

Majorix

I have a weird problem.

My download bandwith is 100 kB/s. (Not kbits!) (1mbit ADSL connection)

When I have a single torrent working in utorrent (working with only a single torrent at a time is what I got used to, back in old days using BitTornado) the download speed is only at 30-40 kB/s.

When I have multiple torrents working then each one downloads at 20-30, with some upto 50 and I get about 90 kb/s, which I consider to be good.

To give an example,

I had 2 torrents working a few hours ago today. They were each at speeds around 25-35, and I was dling with 50-70 usually.

Then I added another torrent. It is still downloading with others and the total dl speed I get is 90-95 - pretty good!

The problem is that I usually only download a few torrents, most likely only ONE, and then I dl at 30. Seeing as how utorrent can dl at 90-95 I get mad when I have to wait days and days for the torrent to finish.

I don't have any problems with NAT/firewall. I opened ports for UTorrent, the icon in the status bar is a green circle with a check in the mid, the speed guide says the ports are ok, I set most peers to connect to to 250 and 150 for single torrent. Everything seems to be fine yet I have this problem.

Help if you can please.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have already tried this with good torrents. I mean torrents with a lot of peers/seeds with this, one had 200 seeds 2000 peers! So it is not about that either.

Ok, so what's your upload speed doing at the same time?

It's unusual for your download speed to be more than 3 times your upload speed except on very fast torrents. Starting more torrents means you may get some download speed even if sharing next-to-nothing back -- especially per upload slot.

Well I live in Turkey and I usually download from EU trackers so I am not that far from the other peers.

My ISP is the most popular one in my country and most likely has agreements with most other ISPs worldwide.

So is this a convo between me and switeck? No other people who have any ideas? Please, come on...

Say, Ultima, are you a magician? :P My dl rate went upto about 100 kB/s in just like 1 min and stayed there constantly. Awesome! I nearly cried infront of the pc!

I noticed utorrent was mostly connecting to seeds and disregarding leechers. It connected to 65(!) seeds (It usually connects to 20-30 seeds even if there are hundreds of them with other torrents) and close to no peers. I also noticed no leechers was connecting to me, my upload speed was like 0.5 or so.

Tell me what is up with those torrents? Do they use some tricks? Great trackers? Incredibly fast seeds? Special methods to make you connect to seeds only? Tell everything and tell me how I can do this with other torrents too.

I can give you nothing for this, I am just a poor student having a living from dad's money. But if you can fix this, I will thank you very much. Deal? :P

I upload with 10/sec when downloading since higher speeds somehow slow down the download. And in speed guide it is set to 256kbps.

I am really sad that I can't fix this problem :( Guess I will have to work with multiple files all the time from now on.

Anyways, if you are really sure there can be no solution you can close this topic.

I have 1024/256kbps ADSL connection. But to make sure I am able to dl/ul at these speeds, I ran a test that the Speed Guide redirected me to. Surprisingly, the test was served by my ISP. So I am trusting the results. There was no upload test but the download test gave me this:

853.3 kbps = 104 KB/s

While it showed 103 KB/s as the normal speed for my connection. So my conn is doing quite good.

And btw, my dl speed went up by itself. Now I am dling with 70-75 with a single torrent up. That is good but still far far away from where it should be at.

Thanks.

I can't test upload speed because there are no test centers close to where I live. I believe they would result in incorrect speed ratings.

But I can set my ul speed to 22KB/sec, that is what the speed guide set it to by default, and it is very close to my max ul speed. And you wonder what the result is? 20/sec upload and 25-30/sec dl with most torrents.

And I am almost sure I have no malware because it has been like this since my last reformat of the pc a few days ago. But if you still believe I do have viruses spywares etc I will run a scan to be sure.

Use the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) setting of xx/256k but reduce your max upload speed to 17-20 KB/sec. Or choose the xx/192k setting and allow 2 torrents max -- but only 1 downloading at once.

If you're not consistantly uploading at the speed you set it to, then it's probably overloading...and that's what's causing your download speed to be a little low.

I already have utorrent installed with xx/256 settings, everything else is the way they were setup, just lowered the ul limit because it seemed to slow my dl speed when it was over 15. Now I am changing my ul speed depending on the average speed of the uploads, between 10-15.

But yeah, like you said the ul speed is not at all constant. It keeps changing between 5-15 all the time, and I can't find a reason for it. My dl speed is not affected from this however, it is at 90-100 usually.

Ironically, the overloads can be caused by the OTHER end. If the other guy is also uploading at "unlimited" speed, then they may be so overloaded that you can't upload quickly (or even 1 KB/sec!) back to them.

...So your upload speed suffers through no fault of your own.

Archived