Bittorrent crashing windows xp

guenthar

I have been having this problem where my computer would just crash and restart. It only happens on Windows XP and I have narrowed the problem to bittorrent and it happens with any client (Utorrent, Azureus, ABC) and there isn't an error but just locks up then crashes and restarts.

I just reinstalled XP and tried running the computer without anything running abd it worked then I tried with bittorrent (the above mentioned clients) and with each one it crashed. I even tried Emule Plus and it didn't crash even leaving it on all day with about 10 - 15 downloads going. The only time the computer doesn;t crash with a client on is if all transfers are stopped.

I was on Windows Vista for awhile and it never crashed because of bittorrent but when I went back to XP it started again.

I don't have upnp enabled and does ABC even have dht (since I tried that one too) and the rest of the settings except the upload anddownload speed are default (the up and down speed are set for my internet connection.

I will try disabling DHT anyways.

It only happens when I use bittorrent (not with emule or any other program) and I started using bittorrent right after I reinstalled windows xp so it couldn't be a virus. (I also protect myself well enough where I haven't had any viruses, adware/spyware, ect. in a long time)

I went back to vista and haven't had any problems with bittorrent since but I still can't play my games in it.

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts". This message is caused by a new security function of Windows XP Service Pack 2 which was included in order to avoid the quick and rampant distribution of worms. XP SP2 doesn't allow any program to open more than 10 outgoing, half-open, (still) unconnected TCP connections.

I'm no pro but maybe a virus is using half_open connections up to the max and whenever you start utorrent it opens more, passes the limit and crashes your comp.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having the same problem for awhile now, it used to happen with azureus, it would just freeze my pc after awhile and i would have to switch the power off and on to get it back, so recently i installed utorrent and once again it happened. its becoming a huge pain in the ass, ive got no more than 10 downloads going. can anyone help me with a different setting or whatever i can try to fix it? let me know if you need anything to assist you,

Mike

Archived