Bittorrent crashing windows xp

guenthar

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here. I usually leave the PC on during the night (happy hours) and ever since I updated to 1.6.1 the computer crashes. I can't give you the error message because it always happens when I'm sleeping.

But I do know that it's being caused by uTorrent because it only crashes when uTorrent is running.

If I get to see the message, I'll post it.

Meanwhile, I've tried all the possible solutions suggested in this topic, but none of them work.

Thanks, but that doesn't really solve my problem. According to the Microsoft Knowledge Base, there are about a gazillion different things that can cause the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA" error. And most of them refer to Windows 2000 or NT... I have Windows XP SP2 and the computer only crashes when uTorrent is running.

Even if I close all unnecessary applications, as well as Zone Alarm (using Windows Firewall instead), I still get the blue screen. Again, this only started to happen since I upgraded to 1.6.1.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm dealing with quite-the-similar problem. I just freshly installed Windows XP (Updated with SP2) and got a virus scanner running (and updated) as soon as I installed XP. I am quite sure that there is absolutely no virii on my machine, and my virus scanner (NOD32) hasn't detected anything suspicious either.

So what's the problem exactly? I run uTorrent, download a file, and after about 15 minutes the system crashes--no reboot, no error message, just a frozen screen. I have a feeling it's got to do with the maximum number of connections, peers, ya-da-da; but I am no expert. I had this problem maybe a year and a half ago with the same PC and I fixed it by limiting a certain number or what not.

But I have forgotten all of that. What can I do to stop this madness? Where shall I start? I'll begin by limiting the "Global maximum number of connections." I'll post the results shortly.

Used BitComet, and now Azureus but still having that crashing problem. Disabled all firewalls and forwarded ports to the client. Disabled uPnP mapping and lowered max connections to 10. Half-Open TCP connections are limited and I patched the maximum allowed to 50, so there should be no problem there.

Hmm. This is terrible.

I for one have been dealing with this for more than 6 months. And many other people seem to be having the same problem.

Here's one forum that's found a solution: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/387894.html

They narrowed it down to a NIC driver problem, I'm hoping that I'm having the same issue... rollbacks or updates seem fix it.

• 1 year later...

Well, I hate to dig up the dead, but I hate to start a new thread for an old problem. For a year-and-a-half or so, I've been using uTorrent without incident. However, this weekend, my computer started crashing if uT was running. Previous to this, I routinely encountered the '48-hour crash' problem, but had always attributed it to Windows, until I read that it could be linked to this as well. Invariably, uT starts up just fine. But after a few moments, one of my torrents loses its trackers. A couple of minutes later, another one. Then another, until they're all red, and the BSOD appears.

I've done some research, and I understand this isn't caused directly by uTorrent. However, it only occurs with uT active, and I'm running out of options. I've updated my drivers. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. I reinstalled ZoneAlarm. I applied the Lvllord patch. uT continues to start dropping trackers just after starting it up. Eventually all my torrents - up and down - go red, and I get either a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD (when just uTorrent is running), or BAD_POOL_CALLER (occured when I had Firefox open during the crash.) Can anyone suggest where to go from here?

Some information:

HP Pavillion d9000t, Intel Core 2 T5600 @ 1.83GHZ, 2 GB RAM (upgrade from 1 GB last year), Windows XP MCE SP2, 100GB HD, approx. 20.2 GB free...

uTorrent 1.7.7

ZoneAlarm 7.0.473.000

AVG 7.5.524

Linksys WRT54GS ver. 6 router

Any other information you might need, just ask...

P.S. - I just turned off Spybot S&D Resident, and for a minute, everything looked good. Red torrents went blue or green again. But after about 5 min., the red arrows started coming back.

I did that earlier, but the issues continued, however...

As ashamed as I am to admit it, this may have been a speed issue...

When I originally installed uT ~ 1 1/2 years ago, I had tweaked the speed settings beyond that of the speed guide. I just went back and ran a few speed tests, and let that control my settings, and since then, everything is beautiful. DHT is disabled, but I turned UPnP back on, with no noticeable difference. I tweaked the connections a little bit more, but I've been running for close to 30 min. without issue. In fact, I'm getting more and faster connections than I ever remember seeing.

UPDATE:

I may have spoken too soon. No problems with red arrows this time, but just after I finished this post...

BSOD...

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00E3E1CD, 0xF78CAC84, 0xF78CA9801)

No PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or BAD_POOL_CALLER or anything, except for the message about drivers in the STOP.

UPDATE:

10+ hours and going strong with the new settings. As long as I don't browse for too long, everything runs okay. Maybe this was a combination of bad settings and network problems, as the network had refreshed at some point during the night, but nothing crashed. Any idea why Firefox + uT would cause the crash? (I'm not sure if it's just Firefox, or any browser).

UPDATE (6/4/08):

BAD_POOL_CALLER crash again this morning, and another one just before noon. Uninstalled ZA completely and switched to Windows' firewall. Tweaked the settings a little, but something def. happened last night, because it seems like my seeding torrents are having a problem maintaining their connections (nothing downloading right now). Yesterday, when I started uT, the files picked up right away, spiked, then leveled out @ around 72. Today, they take a few seconds to connect, then the speeds take a while to build and sustain. They'll run up to 50-60, then come back down, go away, then come back and run up again. Eventually they level out. The only change I made was creating an RSS feed last night.

Suggestions, anyone?

• 3 years later...

Hi, though late, I would like to share my solution to lots of computer crashes I've experienced with uTorrent running in the background.

So here's the deal, and I hope it would help some of you! :D

Winxp sp3, very low configuration, 256MB of RAM, Intel Pentium 3-866 MHZ.

The machine had crashed only when uTorrent was on with high speed downloads (600-700 KB/s) - That's Bytes and not bits guys, and every time it came back on, an error message was generated telling me that the machine had crashed due to a fatal error, and a dump file had been saved.

I've done so many checkups, RAM testing, lots of uninstall and reinstall of softwares, and drivers.

In order to make the long story short, I won't walk you through the hell and frustration I had experienced, and so, here is the solution that helped me.

I've stumbled upon a very useful tiny and free software called BlueScreenView, and according to its documentation it can compile the info from all of the dump files (dmp extension) and show it using a very friendly GUI, allowing both experts and novices to get some idea and more, about the possible reason/s for the ongoing crashes.

The thing that immediately catched my eyes while I was viewing the report issued by BlueScreenView, was a driver associated with NetLimiter. NetLimiter is a Network Traffic Monitoring tool, that I've been using for years including on my newest machine with WINDOWS 7, and I had never had any problems with it whatsoever.

As it turned out, NetLimiter installs a driver of its own that functions as a wrapper driver on the NIC, so it can manipulate it, to get info about the network usage etc.

That driver kept crashing my system, and I just had no idea.

Anyway I had removed NetLimiter completely from my machine, and it's all going smoothly 24/7 ever since, life's good. :D :D

Hope that helps guys

Archived