This might have been asked before...

Jumping Jujubies

...but I didn't find any direct solutions to my problem after searching the forums.

Yet my problem is relatively simple.

As usual, my ratio is getting really low so I have to get it in proper shape. I want to primarily download this file, so I put a 15 kb/s download cad and unlimited upload cap to it.

So why isn't uTorrent obeying the download cap and keeps on downloading way over 200 kb/s?

uTorrent seems to be the only client that actually lets me upload something, but it's not going to be very useful if I can't control the download rates the same as with some other clients. >:(

Simply put, how can I get the download cap to work properly?

Download capping in µTorrent could actually do with a rewrite, to be honest -- it's not exactly in tip-top shape. Basically, it doesn't work very well. Really, though, download capping itself isn't easy.

Anyhow, the only thing I can think of is... if you can wait for the file to finish downloading, then simply stop the torrent, set any/all files to skip in the Files tab, and start the torrent again. With that, you won't have to worry about your download rate -- it'll be negligible (only for peer communication). On the flip side, as I mentioned, you won't finish your files until you unskip the files.

Additionally, setting your upload speed to unlimited isn't a good idea. Just use the Speed Guide properly, and it'll pick the optimal settings for you, including your upload rate.

Also remember if you're having trouble with download limits, it may be due to other BitTorrent clients you're connected to not respecting the limits your µTorrent is telling them to abide by. Even if µTorrent fixes everything on its side...it may not help versis others that don't!

Archived