uTorrent = slimmed down Rufus Torrent???

Chewyfood

uTorrent looks a lot like Rufus Torrent.

Did you use Rufus' code to make uTorrent? Rufus is open source...

The menus are similar...

The interface is similar...

The big difference of course is that uTorrent is a single exe file and Rufus is a whole installer...which looks to have a bunch of python files.

Both EXE's are around 80 KB in size.

Here, see for yourself:

uTorrent_1.png

Rufus-BitTorrent-Client_1.png

Both come courtesy of Softpedia. That screenshot of Rufus is from v0.5.6. Current version is v0.6.5.

Dude if anything they ripped of most of azureus design because it is so damn pimpin.

im not suggesting they RIPPED IT OFF.

Rufus is open source...so its widely available for people to use.

im just wondering if the developer based uTorrent off Rufus, that or used code from Rufus.

btw: i have no affiliation with Rufus whatsoever.

I just went through the options menu.

The options menu are like 90% the same.

The other 10% accounts for the arrangement of the options and lack of minor options in Rufus.

edit: well maybe more like 60% the same. There is a lot of stuff removed from Rufus to uTorrent. But everything in uTorrent's options is in Rufus' options, the same wording, the same location, just organized a little differently in the window.

ALL of µTorrent is entirely original. µTorrent was built from scratch and written in C/C++, is entirely self-contained and contains no python whatsoever. No code was borrowed from other projects.

so its just completely coincidental that both clients look alike?

or did you try to build your client by modeling it after another?

edit: Im not accusing you of stealing. I just find it quite interesting that the two clients looks almost exactly alike...thats all.

Coincidental? No. Most modern bittorrent (azureus/rufus/ABC/bitcomet) are inspired from eachother, and µTorrent is no exception. We strive to implement the best of every client BitTorrent, so it's no surprise that you encounter familiar features.

i understand that...

but i mean like...did you see Rufus or some similar client and say to yourself "OK I want to build my client from scratch but i want it to look like XXX client"???

edit:

for example, there are a couple Linux-based FTP clients.

FTP-Cube and KGBFTP. Both of which were written from scratch, but they obviously look exactly like the windows FTP client, LeechFTP. And the developers in their description of their project say "I built this by modeling LeechFTP"...

The interface is largely inspired by Azureus. I'm trying something entirely different for the Mac OS X version, to give it a better feel of belonging with that particular system.

I hate to keep "attacking" you like this...assuming you consider it attacking...

dont get me wrong...i really like your client.

I just want to get my facts straight...such that when I see such comments on other forums I can give proper facts.

----------------

Most clients strive to mimic Azureus while providing a smaller memory footprint.

While I trust you when you say you built your client from scratch, I just find it hard to believe that you had no direct inspiration from a client like Rufus, which appears to be exactly the same in a lot of ways.

The only reason I say this is because while they look alike, Rufus has been around for over 1 year and your client seems to be almost 1 month old.

*shrugs*

For what it's worth, µTorrent was developed in large part a year ago and was only released to the public this month.

good to know, i suppose...

so this similarity (outside of striving to mimic azureus) is just completely coincidental?

edit:

I just read the FAQ over at Rufus' homepage...

it actually turns out Rufus is based off g3 torrent.

Q: Hey wait a minute... Rufus looks suspiciously like g3torrent/turbo torrent? Isn't that illegal??

A: Yep Rufus is actually based on g3torrent (so is Turbo Torrent but they don't credit g3torrent). I decided to create a fork of g3torrent (No, this isn't illegal) and remove the features which caused it's banning from various trackers. I have since removed many bugs and added a lot of features and updates (see the changelog) that have been suggested by users in the feature request forums and feature request tracker and some stuff that I just thought would be cool.

http://rufus.sourceforge.net/support/faq.php

This is not to say that Rufus is now a rip.

THis basically says that this whole "look" that uTorrent and Rufus have stems from g3torrent.

Was there any inspiration from g3torrent?

Man chewy u really need to calm down on who ripped what. Who gives a rats a$$ if these develpoers can combine features and other great things from other clients I dont see how that could be them rippign them off. All BT Clients are open source if not we would have to pay for them. Keep up the great work. Dont let one idot get you guys down. "Z"

While I trust you when you say you built your client from scratch, I just find it hard to believe that you had no direct inspiration from a client like Rufus, which appears to be exactly the same in a lot of ways.

If you read the post right before yours, you'd notice that ludde said that he got the interface ideas off of several other clients (I'm sure that those clients borrowed ideas from other clients as well). ludde never said that he created the interface all on his own. He said that he didn't borrow any code. Big difference there.

To whichever GUEST said that i should calm down.

i wasnt RIPPING the team. i wasnt angry that another client has surfaced that looks like all the others.

i was merely interested in knowing where the inspiration comes from. thats all...

if I wanted to rip a bit torrent client for stealing and messing up the client, I would do that at the BitLord forums...

I think you need to calm down and take it easy. I said I wasnt accusing anyone of stealing...

@chewyfood

I understand that you have some interest but when your question is answered then normaly that must be enough.

Ludde answered your question here:

I did not look at any specific client. I looked at a bunch of clients and then I designed a user interface on my own that I felt happy with.

It seems very clear to me so why keep asking and asking and asking again.

ysco.

@chewyfood

I understand that you have some interest but when your question is answered then normaly that must be enough.

Ludde answered your question here:

I did not look at any specific client. I looked at a bunch of clients and then I designed a user interface on my own that I felt happy with.

It seems very clear to me so why keep asking and asking and asking again.

ysco.

he never specifically said "I liked XXX client...and i modeled it after that client"...that was the answer i was looking for that was never said.

by saying " designed a user interface on my own" made me believe that he just created his UI out of the blue without inspiration...

Man chewy u really need to calm down on who ripped what. Who gives a rats a$$ if these develpoers can combine features and other great things from other clients I dont see how that could be them rippign them off. All BT Clients are open source if not we would have to pay for them. Keep up the great work. Dont let one idot get you guys down. "Z"

You know, utorrent isn't open source.

I've used a lot of clients from shadow's on and I really liked G3 , even kept using it on public sites after it was banned on private trackers .

I switched to rufus after G3 was abandoned because it was an exact clone of G3 but I found their updates seemed to add more bugs than fixes.

I've started using utorrent and I'll tell you it's a huge step forward compared to those clients.

As for the look of it , it's more like internet explorer on top with firefox tabs on the bottom. It's very clean and easy to use. Only thing I would add is a tab for messages...

Really looking forward to updates . Keep up the good work guys !

Exactly. At least say a big fat thanks to these people who made a woderful client in terms of memory and resource usage - with all those GUI and other features.

Archived