copywrite infringement warnings

miner49er

As of yesturday, I recieved my second copywrite infringement warning

from my internet provider. Needless to say this has left me a little freaked out.

Has anyone else out there got one of these warnings? Could anyone out there

help me understand why I would be getting these, when I belong to a file

sharing club. Any help or light on this situation would be greatly appreiciated.

Rigth now I'm a little chicken to keep downloading.

In most cases these are just empty threats. Especially if you do not live in the United States. Don't reply to them, not even to your provider. Or if you DO reply don't confess, say you have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Pretty much every provider has a clause in the agreement somewhere that they can close you down if you use your connection for illegal activity. So don't give them the power to do so. The email won't be enough for your ISP but if you confess they could if they wanted too (even though its not likely).

As to the real legal trouble. You could try and use Peer Guardian or the likes to minimize the risk of the senders of the email finding you downloading another illegal release through torrents.

Dejavu

Maybe, but couldn't they always just claim criminal intent? If you try to rob a bank or murder someone, and are caught on camera, but fail to complete what you sought to do in the first place, do you simply get let off? (It's probably a bad analogy, but was just something that's been on my mind)

Well Ive Gotton 1 Too Guys For Sharing FSX Now I Responded Saying OMG I Didnt Realize And Ive Contiued Downloading Other Stuff Just Dont Share Anything Microsoft Since We All no BILL GATES TAKES IT UP THE ++++ TO SCREW ANYONE HE CANT MAKE A BUCK ON

DONT SHARE MICROSOFT CRAP THATS ALL MOST SMALLER COMPANYS WITH SOFTWARE DONT SPEND THE TIME TO TRACK U DOWN I BELEAVE ITS THE BIG GUY LOOKING TO TAKE OUT THE LITTLE GUY

Well in The Netherlands only the uploading of Movies, Music and other semi-public domain stuv is illegal. It IS legal to download Movies, Music etc. So in NL they'd have to prove you are actually sending/uploading infringed material. (Software and games are another story. They are not semi-public.)

I'm not sure about the criminal intent thing. I think its a far stretch imho. Ihmo those emails are scare tactics.

Archived