Question on upload speed affecting download speed

Qwak

Hi,

I have noticed that if I increase my upload speed, my download will slow down. Is this normal?

I have a 1MB/300k ADSL connection at home. I set up the upload at 22k max. But it goes double fast (my download) if I set the upload to 10k.

Can you tell me something about this please?

Thanks

Test your internet connection's upload speed from the speed test linked to from the Speed Guide several times, and give us the average upload speed. Make sure you select the testing mirror closest to where you live, and make sure you're not using the internet for any reason other than to complete the speed test (meaning you exit µTorrent, any other downloading appplication, IM clients, etc).

The reasons why your upload still chokes download:

1. You've selected the wrong value in speed guide (for example because you didn't know the real value of your upload)

2. Something else (except utorrent) is using your upload - viruses, trojans, other applications, other p2ps

3. You are using rate-adaptive DSL (RADSL) over long phone line

4. Your ISP is throttling your p2p upload

One word of advice - if you did check everything and still suffer from download chocking by upload, consider if further upload limiting to make download a little bit faster is really worth it. Because, if you don't want to be leecher (and I assume you don't) and maintain high ratio, then it is generally better to prefer higher uploading over superfast downloading (in other words - it's better to have your transfers more symmetric)

If your max upload is 46kb/s, then you probably only have 384 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth and you're getting VERY close to the theoretical maximum upload speed to do as well as you are!

But really...if you're downloading at 100+ KB/sec while uploading at <50 KB/sec, then I'd say you're getting more than you're giving back unless you're seeding at least 2-3x longer than you download.

Archived