Queueing problem?

z9999

This appears to occur most predominantly with torrents using 4 mB pieces, but also with smaller piece torrents, to a lesser degree.

I try to connect as soon as the torrent is posted and therefore start on an even keel with all other peers. It seems that I connect to the seed and get assigned a piece and then receive a few blocks, the peer then ceases to send to me and a little later the peer once again connects and starts to send a new piece, ignoring the one already started. This occurs again and again, and eventually all peers completes one of the pieces and then they all, including the seed quickly UL that piece to me. This leaves me with nothing to send unless a new peer connects as the pieces I receive are already held by all the peers. I often have 8 or more pieces queued with an availability of 1, meaning only the seed has them, and they accumulate from 3 to a little over 100 blocks from the seed, but never are completed by the seed. My only uploading is when new peers connect with fewer pieces than I have. I stay connected and don't drop off and reconnect as I notice some peers often do. The majority of the peers including the seed are running uTorrent 1.6. I also notice that all the pieces with an availability of 1 show a mode of Fast, and the ones with a large availability show a mode of Slow, but the pieces with the highest availability are the only ones I am receiving. To make matters worse, if there are several pieces with a high availability, I will receive 253-255 blocks and then stop receiving blocks for that piece and another high availability piece will begin to receive blocks. I've tried limiting the connections to 5, 6, 8,10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 to see if that would change things. I've tried setting my UL max speed to 10 kB, 11 kB, 12 kB, 15 kB, and unlimited with no effect either. In fact setting my UL to unlimited doesn't decrease my DL at all. My service is 512/128 kb/s, and using unlimited UL I often hit 17 kB/s or higher and still can DL 40-50 kB/s or higher. Is there a reason for what I am experiencing?

I just would like to be able to UL, but find it difficult if I don't ever complete a piece that someone else doesn't already have.

The torrents I am connecting to aren't being initial (super?) seeded, so I'm wondering if it is my uTorrent that is deciding what to request and if so why is in not ever trying to complete a piece before requesting a new piece?

Thank you.

Switek: Thanks for the response, and BitComet is banned from the tracker I'm using, so all the peers, including seeds are using either uTorrent 1.6 or a very few (2) using Azureus 2500. My queue grows larger each time the seed connects as (s)he begins with a new piece. My download speed runs in bursts as I have to wait for many others to acquire a piece I have had queued and incomplete for a long time, and once several peers acquire that piece nearly all of them, including the seed connect to me and quickly finish the piece for me. I achieve nearly full DL speed each time that occurs, so my DL remains equal to the fastest DL'rs, but I seldom have anything to seed, with the exception of when new peers connect to the swarm. I can then UL at fairly high speed, although others also assist so I only accomplish a small amount of the total UL to the connecting peers.

Watching a 2 gB torrent closely which took the seed about 36 hrs to fully complete, I connected to the seed often, but acquired a total DL of just over 40 mB from the seed, and I only saw 1 piece that was actually completed by the seed. I would often notice as many as 9 pieces queued with an availability of 1, and with about 14 peers including the seed connected, I would notice DL occuring only on pieces having an availability of 12-13, with pieces with less availability receiving occasional DL. Once nearly everyone had a piece my DL speed would run well over 40 kB/s and often nearly at max speed, (64 kB/s). My UL speed is NIL most of the time, and when new peers occur I achieve 6-8 kB/s and occasionally faster if 2 or more new peers connect together.

I don't know how to improve this and want very much to UL as well as DL. I can only seem to maintain a good ratio by waiting for latecomers to UL to after I have completely finished.

Can you turn on verbose output and check it for disconnection problems with seeds/peers?

My guess is your router is interfering with your packets (D-Link in DMZ 'gaming' mode?) or your firewall or modem is. When that happens, the other end sees a bad reply or no reply from your end and drops the connection or snubs you (which is even worse). If an actual drop connection occurs, you're reconnecting fast enough to not lose download/upload stats to these seeds/peers.

If your connection is only rated for 128k upload bandwidth, then using faster than about 14 KB/sec upload speed is really going to make your download speeds worse. Better to set the upload faster while seeding.

I'm not DL'g anything at present, but should have another 2 gB torrent to start soon. I will try turning on the verbose output when that occurs and see what it shows.

I'm using a LinkSys Wrt54GS V4 router, but DMZ is disabled. Port forwarding has never been a problem, and I always have a green checkmark. I've tried setting my UL max lower beginning at 10 kB/s incrementing in steps of 1 kB after many hours to see if any difference occurs, and see no effect. In fact when set to max I often see my UL running well over 16 kB/s, occasionally as high as 24 kB/s, and have seen the DL running near 60 kB/s at the same time. My DL speed is very good once many peers have a piece I need, and nearly everyone connects to me at the same time, including the seed who most often had queued the piece to me but never sent it completely to me.

As soon as I receive the next torrent I'll start it with my UL max at 12 kB, and verbose on and see if any info appears that might help.

I may have to come back with the results as I've never used the verbose function before.

In the meantime, Thank you, for helping.

Archived