How to type µtorrent

Snapphane

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

it is "me" in modern greek but in this case having to do with computers and inherintly math it's probably pronounced "mu" as in the anchient greek pronounciation

kinda like the coffecifcant of friction is "mu" or maybee you'd sound it out better as "mew"

I'm greek and my sister is a classics major :P

so in closeing, I'd say it is "Mu-torrent" the way it would be spelled in english to sound out

• 3 weeks later...

ehm.. sorry for barging in or smthng... but..

mishkin, when you say you are greek, you mean of having greek origins or actually living in Greece? Your friction example kinda lead me to believe the first...

(i do not mean to insult you or anything, so there is no pun in all of this)

1st ancient greek pronounciation is something we can only guess (as we have never heard of anyone ancient speak). Erasmian pronounciation is just a guess, and we have no means of actually checking its accuracy. [Even then, for ancient greek i mean, there are quite some dialects depending on time period... anyway]

2nd it would be much more apropriate to pronounce μ as it is currently pronounced (and has been for all that many years, its not that modern anyways) since its context is rather modern than ancient. I can assure you ancient greeks did not have computers and had never heard of coefficients or friction.

μ as in μικρο (i.e. micro) is pronounced 'me' as in 'me-kro' and not 'mee-kro-oo' nor 'my-kro-oo' or anything else (in greek).

And since there is only one greek language around (as far as I know at least:p) by denoting greek letters you are referring to the one greek language. And in greek the only proper way to pronounce 'μ' is 'me'.

Friction coefficient is also μ-'me' around Greece.

As π is 'pee' and not 'pie'.

I think that i'm really starting to sound all too greek so i'm gonna stop. It's not that big of adeal anyway...

EDIT: according to IBM AltGr stands for "Alternate Graphic", or so wikipedia says... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_Gr

Haha, so now we have Alternate Graphic, someone else told me above it was Alt Green and I originally thought it was Alt Greek...which one is it? :lol:

But about the "µ" issue, in scientific circles it means "micro", thus denoting something small, and this has nothing to do with Greek. I believe that is what Ludde intended with the name... :|

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with using Alt+ combos like Alt+0181 to make the µ symbol. I have installed the Google Toolbar Extension for Firefox and whenever I try to do ANY Alt combos (like Alt+0181), my cursor focus goes to the Google Toolbar's search field. Does any one else have this problem?

PS: I decided to post this in these forums since I normally only use the Alt combo for the µ symbol and I figured a lot of people here use it too, so it was a good idea to ask here I thought.

-Karasuhebi

"Alt Greek"? "Alt Green"?? you're both wrong!

its "Alternate Graphic"! think about its function..

The ALT GR key is on the right side of the keyboard on some non-U.S. keyboard layouts. ALT GR is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination, and you can use it with other keys to enter additional characters as shown in the following list of keyboard languages. Microsoft Word can differentiate between the left and right ALT keys so that you can use CTRL+ALT and ALT GR key combinations.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052590631033.aspx

I've never seen a keyboard with Alt Gr on it O.o

AltGr is the key immediately to the right of the space bar. It's been a feature of every keyboard I've had since 1998. Perhaps your keyboard is foreign? I use a United Kingdom keyboard

Incidentally AltGr+M doesnt do a Mu symbol for me.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Under Virtual PC (or whatever it's called now), I'm sure it works like a dream. :lol:

I do Alt+0181... so long as I have Num Lock on (damn wireless keyboard) it works fine. If I had an AltGr key (which I hadn't even heard of til I got online and found people from other countries, OMG!) I'd much rather use that... but sadly US keyboards don't have a function for "shifting the entire keyboard to a different character" (other than Shift, duh). Macs have Option and Option-Shift... why can't all keyboards have an "AltGr"? :(

• 4 weeks later...

Every computer has a Character Map editor, usually accessed by Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map. Just bring this up and select the "µ" symbol. Copy this, then CTRL-V to paste the character into any text line. If you want to save steps, you can copy an entire word like "µTorrent" and paste the word into the message editor.

Archived