How to type µtorrent

Snapphane

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keke.. ME torrent vs YOU torrent

i prefer the former, sounds like miTorrent = myTorrent

mu is just wrong, like pie ;)

greek letters can be inserted directly from a unicode table too, windows have those 'symbol' sets..

i used to convert to the greek keyboard to write it only to realize the majority of people could not see it (alt0181 reproduces another µ, unlike μ < which you probably dont see)

Oranje: I see it, at least, and it looks slightly different: μ in contrast to µ.

Alt-0181 produces the kind of µ that is the SI prefix for 10^-6, and that's the one in the name of µTorrent. The other μ that Oranje refers to looks the same [or almost the same; some fonts make a distinction] but is the lower-case Greek letter μ. The difference is that if you are converting text to all capitals for a headline or something, µ for "micro-" remains µ but μ is capitalized to a Greek character that looks the same as M. And there actually have to be two M's in a complete European character set: a Roman M that, when converted to lower case, comes out m, and a Greek M that lower-cases to μ.

I don't know how to do μ from my keyboard, so I copied and pasted it from Oranje's post. In contrast, alt-0181 or alt-230 gives µ.

Yes, Ultima, it does, but I found that at certain zoom sizes there is a subtle difference.

In Eugène Ionesco's play "The Lesson," the teacher tells the student about a previous student who couldn't pronounce "f" but would say "f" instead, resulting in his saying "grandmother" when he meant "grandmother" and "Gérard de Nerval" when he meant "Gérard de Nerval."

haha that is funny :D

nightshifted you got it right. Due to the usage of all those greek letters in science, they are included in symbol character sets that windows and linux are using (0181 points there). There is a different character set for greek letters though, due to non-latin characters and the tone system. In the more recent browsers most sets are included, I at least can see chinese.

Here is µTorrent in greek since you can see it :P

μΤόρρεντ

top-end ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Us people using US keyboards don't have AltGr, we just have two Alt keys :lol:

I have Canadian keyboard, I have 2 of everything (french & english) :lol: normaly I just click Start-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Character Map ..then I look for that "u" with the extra tail though; the bottom of the CharMap it says CODE: 0xB5 :P

• 3 months later...

From my earlier post in page 3:

"I have a problem with using Alt+ combos like Alt+0181 to make the µ symbol. I have installed the Google Toolbar Extension for Firefox and whenever I try to do ANY Alt combos (like Alt+0181), my cursor focus goes to the Google Toolbar's search field. Does any one else have this problem?

PS: I decided to post this in these forums since I normally only use the Alt combo for the µ symbol and I figured a lot of people here use it too, so it was a good idea to ask here I thought.

-Karasuhebi"

Nevermind that problem. Looks like it was a Google Toolbar Extension problem. It got fixed with one of the updates from the extension. :-D

-Karasuhebi

Archived